Oneida County First Student bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have the frequency for the new bus company in Rome(First Student) ? They have a lot issued in numerous States. The antenna appears to be in the 800mhz range, possibly UHF. Thanks.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Not seeing any First Student LLC licenses in your county. Might be worth checking licenses for the school district(s) they're contracted with or perhaps they're leasing a repeater from a 3rd party, as is the case with one particular First Student base in my area...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No shortage of UHF trunked systems in the county. I would check the Mobiletech NXDN system first, and go from there.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
first student licenses are based out of Ohio so you have to search under ohio. There like 200 plus call signs for them.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
first student licenses are based out of Ohio so you have to search under ohio. There like 200 plus call signs for them.

If properly licensed through the FCC, you should not have to search under Ohio's listings. If First Student had their own repeater being used in Rome (which it appears they do not), then it should be licensed specific to that area. NOT in Ohio. Kinda like CSX. They are based out of Jacksonville, FL. If I need a CSX frequency, I wouldn't search under Florida. Their licenses can be found specific to the areas they have sites at.

For First Student in Rome, I'd first look at the MPT-1327 systems. Thats where most (not all) of the school buses are for Madison & Oneida Counties.

I'd have to suspect that they are either on MPT trunking, or one of JPJ's or Mid-States UHF conventional frequencies. If not, trying Mobiletech NXDN, as GTR8000 mentioned.

nacsr, let us know if you end up figuring it out.

k2hz

Database Admin
It may also be worth checking the JPJ DMR system since they are a new user. I don't believe they are on Mobiltech unless they are not active yet. First Student seems to mostly use trunked systems in Central and Western NY vs their own licenses. First Student has some area licenses that they don't use so searching FCC records for them in this area is seldom productive.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
If properly licensed through the FCC, you should not have to search under Ohio's listings. If First Student had their own repeater being used in Rome (which it appears they do not), then it should be licensed specific to that area. NOT in Ohio. Kinda like CSX. They are based out of Jacksonville, FL. If I need a CSX frequency, I wouldn't search under Florida. Their licenses can be found specific to the areas they have sites at.

For First Student in Rome, I'd first look at the MPT-1327 systems. Thats where most (not all) of the school buses are for Madison & Oneida Counties.

I'd have to suspect that they are either on MPT trunking, or one of JPJ's or Mid-States UHF conventional frequencies. If not, trying Mobiletech NXDN, as GTR8000 mentioned.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
I think you are correct.First Student is licensed in numerous cities are the Country .The fact that theyre not licensed in Rome suggests they are leasing space.I don't currently have the NXDN option as there is not much in use here.Stay tuned.Thanks for your reply!

k2hz

Database Admin
I also would not be surprised if a big company like First Student goes to PTT over Cellular like the Peak PTT system. Nationwide coverage, GPS tracking and $300 radios. It has to look attractive to a multi-area operation vs dealing with many different local LMR systems.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin

They are properly licensed. When searching using FCC ULS you have to use the state of the license which is ohio. Under locations on the license shows the actual location and state that specific license is authorized for.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
As someone who uses the ULS on a daily basis, professionally, a comprehensive search for First Student shows active licenses for a site in the immediate area (4 counties). Part 90 is considered a site-licensed service and therefore is searchable based on the location of the mobile of fixed units. You can also search on the mailing address of the licensee. However, Site and Mailing locations are different search fields. First Student is highly likely on a commercially leased channel or system. Based on the antennas they are running, you should be looking for a UHF system. Candidates are JPJ's multiple commercial services and anything in Onondaga County, as they may be sharing with operations in Syracuse. Systems up on the hills in Pompey would have mobile coverage into greater Rome

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And the answer is 452.575 which is listed under JPJ.Thanks everyone!
Well, it's listed under Oneida County Businesses as "JPJ Radio Techs" with a 110.9 PL. Is that the PL you're getting for the buses? Either way, the listing will need to be updated to reflect the actual use, so once you verify a PL/DPL, please submit it to the county page.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Having worked for a radio shop programing radios for them it wasn't uncommon for them to use frequencies from other licenses that were not valid in the area they were in. We had to help them get a license for several of their "errors."

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Well, it's listed under Oneida County Businesses as "JPJ Radio Techs" with a 110.9 PL. Is that the PL you're getting for the buses? Either way, the listing will need to be updated to reflect the actual use, so once you verify a PL/DPL, please submit it to the county page.

I'm getting 103.5 .The signal is pretty weak 7 miles North of Rome.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting 103.5 .The signal is pretty weak 7 miles North of Rome.
I will double check it this afternoon, as I am significantly closer than you. I would assume your decode is correct though. If it is weak for you that would mean they are using the repeater on Smith Hill/Grace Rd. and not their site on Sly Hill/Wilson Rd. I also wouldn't necessarily assume this repeater is user exclusive. It's quite possible to run multi-PL.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I will double check it this afternoon, as I am significantly closer than you. I would assume your decode is correct though. If it is weak for you that would mean they are using the repeater on Smith Hill/Grace Rd. and not their site on Sly Hill/Wilson Rd. I also wouldn't necessarily assume this repeater is user exclusive. It's quite possible to run multi-PL.

I have 103.5 As well. Signal strength is consistent with Smith Hill as a likely location.

Status
Not open for further replies.