Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Is it me, or has the Utica Fire Alert gone silent. I cannot receive anything anymore on that channel.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is it me, or has the Utica Fire Alert gone silent. I cannot receive anything anymore on that channel.

Which is why it was set to deprecated status in the database three weeks ago. Alerting is now exclusively on the trunked system.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if I'll finally be able to pick up the Phase 2 Oneida County system in Lee?

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
So my question is, is this achieved by running lower power or directional broadcasting, or both? Is it possible to see a coverage map?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have never seen a coverage map posted on the system nor know the actual design, however the original license posted in this forum showed 100 watts ERP. I think the height was 200 or less. I don't know what the actual build height is but I know the Rome tower does not appear to be 200' from my quick look. It may be but without details we can only assume. Being the media published said this was the area of concern, i would assume the engineers designed the system to cover the area. Depending on coverage maps or other details would determine the power out and antenna orientation. I have seen systems in other areas that are licensed with a large power yet are only a quarter of the power when setup in a simulcast system. Its all how it was designed.

From what I have listened to in the Rome/Utica areas, and users I have talked to it works as designed in the areas it is supposed to. To me that means it was designed for these areas' and not other parts of the county. Remember the goal was to remove the non inter-operability between users, especially having multiple different forms of radios in the county and cities. It appears they resolved this by putting both cities on P25 and having the ability to patch to other channels in the county if needed.

I think they chose the right choice as if they want to expand P25 out to the rest of the county they can gradually vs cutting directly over to a new system over night.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for replying. I do recieve them well in Rome Where I live in Lee, about 7 miles North,not at all.I do get Rome Water Dept (NXDN) loud and clear.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The reason you can't receive it has more to do with simulcast overlap than actual signal strength. The NXDN is a single site, so it doesn't have the overlap problem.

Interesting tidbit about tower and guessing their height. Most Self-Supporting Latice Towers around here are made by Valmont or Sabre. Their sections are 20', count the sections and add them up. Sometimes you will notice a shorter section at the top. Now look at the top antenna and lightening rod. Neither of those can extend over 199' without the tower being lit. Looking at the Rome Tower, you will notice that the receive (top) antenna only extends slightly above the tower, the top of that antenna is the 199' mark.

KB2ZXT you are correct in your coverage assumptions.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
P25 phase ll OC.

Does anyone know what TGID 65022 is for I don't see it listed?
Oneida County P25

151.010 C/C everything I hear is on 154.2500 is this a tower if yes witch one ��

Thanks

Last edited:
TG 65022 is Oneida County Law Enforcement Sheriff

Does anyone know what TGID 65022 is for I don't see it listed?
Oneida County P25

151.010 C/C everything I hear is on 154.2500 is this a tower if yes witch one ��

Thanks

Oneida County Law Enforcement (Sheriff's) is on TG 65022 .

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
TG 65022 is Oneida County Law Enforcement Sheriff

Thank You

Are you able to understand what they are saying if your able to pick that ID up? I'm not able to on my SDS100.
For me living East of Utica, Rome comes in the loudest.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Oneida County Sheriff

I've been noticing lately the Sheriff sometimes sounds slightly off frequency and then clears up. I've seen this on 3 different radios and both outside and internal antennas. Sometimes it happens during conversation. It happens with dispatch so I know they're not moving. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:
(encrypted) 65022 TE Sheriff Tactical (encrypted)

Thank You

Are you able to understand what they are saying if your able to pick that ID up? I'm not able to on my SDS100.

65022 TE Sheriff Tactical (encrypted)

The control channel, being used is 151.085 and 151.010 also try the data channel 154.250 .

Double check and make sure you have all the 8 channels setup for Project 25 Phase II TDMA ..

1. 151.010
2. 151.085
3. 151.235
4. 151.355
5. 151.370
6. 154.250
7. 159.210
8. 159.240

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The control channel, being used is 151.085 and 151.010 also try the data channel 154.250 .

Double check and make sure you have all the 8 channels setup for Project 25 Phase II TDMA ..

1. 151.010
2. 151.085
3. 151.235
4. 151.355
5. 151.370
6. 154.250
7. 159.210
8. 159.240

You don't need to program every frequency, only the control channel(s) is required. And you certainly don't need to "try the data channel". :roll:

All modern scanners operate in "control channel only mode", meaning they tune to the control channel and decode it. Voice frequencies are calculated using the bandplan and channel numbers which are broadcast over the control channel, they do not need to be programmed into the scanner at all. In fact, the scanner will pretty much ignore every other frequency that is programmed once it finds the control channel.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
OC P25 trunking

Thank You

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
On R/R I don't see any NXDN systems listed for Oneida or Herkimer Co except for one in Rome, NY
Does anyone know of any? I hope this isn't off topic

Thank You

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I've been noticing lately the Sheriff sometimes sounds slightly off frequency and then clears up. I've seen this on 3 different radios and both outside and internal antennas. Sometimes it happens during conversation. It happens with dispatch so I know they're not moving. Anyone else experiencing this?

It's not just you, and its not just that channel. The conventional simulcast has an issue. It seems to be only one tower that is causing the problem, but one can screw up most of the county. This is one of the main reasons why the Oneida County hasn't signed off on the system and given Motorola final payment. No one is really sure of the cause at this point, or why it is so intermittent.