Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that it might be the NYS Watch Center and those IDs. Both 8429065 and 8429066 have been seen on the Albany County system and are OFPC units from what I can tell. I have also heard 900 series units testing on the Albany County system with the "Watch Center". Seems like they are interfacing with regional system to create statewide radio coverage back the the Watch Center in Albany. Believe some one in OFPC indicated to me a while ago they were testing with units in Buffalo as well.

8429096 was calling as "OEM portable 907"

Watch Center was answering back "on a console, in Albany"

Last edited:

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
For those using Uniden scanners - do you 'avoid' the other CNYICC counties listed as simulcast (i.e. Cayuga Simulcast, Madison Simulcast, Onondaga Simulcast, and Oswego Simulcast)? Does it matter?

BTW - My latest station upgrade really improved the reception of the Oneida County P25 system. I moved to the SDS200 and also upgraded my antenna system to the MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861. The quality of the signals is much better.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
For those using Uniden scanners - do you 'avoid' the other CNYICC counties listed as simulcast (i.e. Cayuga Simulcast, Madison Simulcast, Onondaga Simulcast, and Oswego Simulcast)? Does it matter?
It only matters to your specific situation, not what anyone else is doing. If you are unable to receive a strong, reliable signal from any of those other simulcast cells, then there is no point in scanning them.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
FWIW: I just acquired an BCD996P2. I live in downtown Utica. Using the stock antenna indoors, i have clear audio, and a 0 Error rate. I hook up to the external antenna 80 feet up, and its all garbled due to LSM. Yes i have all other counties locked out as well. Im waiting on Whistlers new scanner to be released then ill see if that fixes LSM for the area.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If you only want to hear Oneida TGs then ignore/don’t scan the other counties. Scanning them will just cause you to miss Oneida traffic as your scanner checks those control channels for TGs that won’t be there anyway.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to those who responded to my recent post. I believe that I have resolved my confusing reception issues with a new set of favorites lists. The confusion started when I was hearing transmissions from other counties on the Oneida County simulcast system. I would also hear Onondaga County on the Madison County P25 system. Yah, I was confused.

The fix was to 'avoid' the other simulcast systems and avoid talk groups from the other CNYICC counties. I did this across all the lists so that each is now segregated for the county of interest. My favorites are now organized as follows: Cayuga County, Lewis County, Madison County, Oneida County, Onondaga County, and Oswego County. I also have favorites for non-P25 systems: NYSP (Troop D), NY Thruway , Aviation, Upstate NY Amateur Repeaters, and various Utilities

The Oneida County P25 Phase 2 system is sometimes a challenge because of the terrain between me and the Rome NY tower. Since I live in the Northwest part of Oneida County, I have good signals from Oswego, Onondaga, Madison, and sometimes Lewis County. Question – do all the Oneida County talkgroups get simulcasted to the neighboring county CNYICC P25 systems? If so, this would be my fix for my marginal reception issues for Oneida County.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where you are. I'm in Lee and have lousy reception. I have the TRX 1
and the UNIDEN436. I have high error rates 20 - 30 on an outside antenna. Have tweaked settings with no luck. As you said, I can receive all the surrounding Counties if I want too. I can receive digital fine if I'm in Rome. So I mostly keep the Phase II locked out. I have an expensive analog scanner.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Question – do all the Oneida County talkgroups get simulcasted to the neighboring county CNYICC P25 systems? If so, this would be my fix for my marginal reception issues for Oneida County.
No, generally each counties TG is specific to that county simulcast. There are a few TGs that are carried in a neighboring county for coverage improvement or mutual aid. And there are a few that are consortium wide.
But, overall, if you want to hear Oneida TGs you must scan the Oneida simulcast.

W2ZXN

Premium Subscriber
I’d be willing to bet that reception will most likely get better in the coming months. There will be some talkgroups roamed from system to system, but there is a caution on limits due to capacity. An Oneida TDMA talkgroup roamed into Madison, for example, is roamed as FDMA to be compatible with Madison’s system.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
No, generally each counties TG is specific to that county simulcast. There are a few TGs that are carried in a neighboring county for coverage improvement or mutual aid. And there are a few that are consortium wide.
But, overall, if you want to hear Oneida TGs you must scan the Oneida simulcast.

Thanks for your insight. I believe that my favorites lists are sorted out now and I hear the county traffic where it belongs. Now that I have played around with the SDS200 this weekend, I can't believe how much better it handles the Oneida County P25 system. The receiver in this beast is incredible. I love it that I can now hear Rome and Utica traffic up here in Camden.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Not sure where you are. I'm in Lee and have lousy reception. I have the TRX 1
and the UNIDEN436. I have high error rates 20 - 30 on an outside antenna. Have tweaked settings with no luck. As you said, I can receive all the surrounding Counties if I want too. I can receive digital fine if I'm in Rome. So I mostly keep the Phase II locked out. I have an expensive analog scanner.

nacsr - I am up the road in Camden. My biggest reception issues are the terrain between me and the Rome tower. As mentioned in my previous post, I have upgraded my antenna and now the scanner. The antenna was a big improvement, but reception of the Oneida County P25 system was still marginal. Since the addition of the SDS200, the reception has greatly improved. It isn't perfect as I still hear some digital artifacts, but these are now minimal. Overall, I appreciate that I can now hear the P25 system for county I live in!

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to check out that antenna. Was in Rome yesterday with my 436 at Price Chopper and had great reception with 0 errors.I talked to an OC Deputy and he said they are having issues and work is ongoing.

W2ZXN

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to check out that antenna. Was in Rome yesterday with my 436 at Price Chopper and had great reception with 0 errors.I talked to an OC Deputy and he said they are having issues and work is ongoing.

Wait until they are legitimately using it for a while then ask. I’m sure there will be complaints, there are going to be tweaks; And there will be those who are unhappy with change, but complaining to citizens about a digital system that is not yet in countywide use is premature.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Wait until they are legitimately using it for a while then ask. I’m sure there will be complaints, there are going to be tweaks; And there will be those who are unhappy with change, but complaining to citizens about a digital system that is not yet in countywide use is premature.

To be clear, he wasn't complaining to me. I merely asked a question, told him why I was asking and he answered it. Nothing more.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Hi is anyone using a whistler TRX-1 to monitor this simulcast system, I would like to know if there are setting I can change for better reception? I'm east of Utica and get no reception until I'm in Utica.
Anyone have settings they would share would be appreciated. DAC, ADC, DSP, Threshold Hi and Low, and anything else that helps improve signal strength on the P25 PII system. Thank you!

Prospect62

Clarity of analog conventional MRD still sucks. It has gotten slightly better...but it still sucks. Shame nobody seems to care due to the focus on making the P25 system work. If this degraded signal on the county's conventional analog is going to be a permanent side effect of simulcasting and/or integration with the P25 system, I can't imagine anyone expected it. At least I hope not.

Last edited:

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Clarity of analog conventional MRD still sucks. It has gotten slightly better...but it still sucks. Shame nobody seems to care due to the focus on making the P25 system work. If this degraded signal on the county's conventional analog is going to be a permanent side effect of simulcasting and/or integration with the P25 system, I can't imagine anyone expected it. At least I hope not.

Are you saying the 155.430 Oneida County Sheriff audio is crap? If so, I am not experiencing this issue. The audio on this conventional channel is crystal clear to me. When I switch over to the P25 talk group [65035], I pick up some of the digital artifacts, but the audio is still tolerable.

Prospect62

Are you saying the 155.430 Oneida County Sheriff audio is crap? If so, I am not experiencing this issue. The audio on this conventional channel is crystal clear to me. When I switch over to the P25 talk group [65035], I pick up some of the digital artifacts, but the audio is still tolerable.

Yes that's what I'm referring to.

155.4300 conventional MRD output. It's better than it was previously (I guess "sucks" might be a strong word depending on your receiver) but still gets fuzzy from time to time. This is strictly conventional here, not referring to digital artifacts. Maybe I'm going nuts but it seems like Fire Control (154.3700) conventional is crystal clear and rich - remarkably so - but MRD can get fuzzy. It's not as invasive as it was when the simulcast issue first appeared.

Not really sure how to describe it. It's almost like when the wind blows a certain way the signal degrades. Obviously I know that's not the case. Just don't know how else to describe it. Also MRD also sounds a little "tinny" as compared to Fire Control.

I've experienced the issue all over the central part of the county, on professional mobile radios and on portables, and on my own personal scanners with multiple antenna setups. My theory is it has something to do with the simulcast, but I can't figure out why Fire Control is so much clearer and stronger. At my home I have a 36" exterior copper dipole antenna connected to a Pro-2042 with coax and with that, I'm getting MRD very clear 99% of the time. Any lesser antenna setups and I experience the issue.

Oh yeah and the Florence tower seems stronger than the others MOST of the time.

Last edited:

W2ZXN

Premium Subscriber
I've experienced the issue all over the central part of the county, on professional mobile radios and on portables, and on my own personal scanners with multiple antenna setups. My theory is it has something to do with the simulcast, but I can't figure out why Fire Control is so much clearer and stronger. At my home I have a 36" exterior copper dipole antenna connected to a Pro-2042 with coax and with that, I'm getting MRD very clear 99% of the time. Any lesser antenna setups and I experience the issue.

Oh yeah and the Florence tower seems stronger than the others MOST of the time.

There could be a number of reasons, but I’m just going to mention that not everyone is using their new radios yet. Also, it makes since that a rubber duck antenna would not be able to compare to your 36” dipole outside. And if you think it sounds clear with a half-wave dipole, try a full wave dipole.
How are you determining that the Florence tower is stronger? Listening to a certain Dept on the input?