Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what TG 65048 is for? The conversation that I recorded involved two mobile units (485 and 486) testing with a lieutenant. I'm guessing these units belong to the Oneida County Sheriff.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
A lot of testing on 65024 past 2 days. Anyone have a clue as to its use yet?

This TG also "roams" on the Oswego County towers. It has been roaming on there for a while, but have only heard "radio repair" on there testing as well. I have noticed tonight that after the technician does a count down, there is some sort of automated voice announcement afterwards, but trying to understand what its saying is not very clear.

I haven't checked to see if its roaming on Madison's towers. With it roaming on towers here, I suspect that it could be for some sort of interop within the different counties. But too early to tell. Not enough info to gather just yet.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
the automated is played to test audio levels. not sure, but i think i heard Oneida 911 do a test count too on the tg too

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
If it was just normal interop between the counties you wouldn't see all the testing. So Oneida is up to something else. Roaming talkgroups are commonplace and well understood so there wouldn't be that degree of testing. Oneida has been supposedly working towards P25 over LTE. Something like that would need some fairly extensive testing like you are seeing.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Its a tech with a lot of caveats and what ifs and maybes. There are just a lot of moving parts to get the guarantee and quality of service required for public safety operations. There was a fairly significant upgrade that they needed to enable WAVE on the CNYICC. Last I knew it hadn't been installed but that knowledge is dated by a few months. Its not something I have been following too closely. If this is WAVE testing, this opens up significant opportunities beyond just WAVE.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of moving parts to getting a tower site built including permits and approvals. Most of those all have legislated timelines, 60-90 days etc. for each step. Then you get into soil testing, bid/contracts for construction. Also considering the spring, or lack thereof, having shovels in the ground isn't a forgone conclusion. Also consider the tower foundation requires drawings and templates from the tower manufacturer, they may not be running at 100% right now. COVID-19 hasn't legally stopped construction on the radio systems in NY, Due to other factors, many times in other states, it may not be moving forward at full blast. If you feel like digging through bureaucracy, go look for the section 106 TNCS notification on the ULS. That will give you an idea of where the process is.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
TG 7118 T Oneida Indian Nation Police has been heard on the Oneida Simulcast system for the last week.
When I read the display I thought it was Madison County but I didn’t have that system turned on! Thanks
I always have Search ID turned on, living east of Utica has been a problem with Simulcast for me. I can only pick it up with an outside antenna or mag mount on my car. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Oneida Lake Water Rescue Calls. Sylvan Beach Fire and Cleveland Fire command TAC channel is

12 T Onondaga County TAC-12 on Oneida County P25 system

66 T Madison County Event Tac 4 also on Oneida County P25 system

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
Oneida Lake Water Rescue Calls. Sylvan Beach Fire and Cleveland Fire command TAC channel is

12 T Onondaga County TAC-12 on Oneida County P25 system

66 T Madison County Event Tac 4 also on Oneida County P25 system

You'll hear them across then entire CNYICC. Those are all regional TAC channels, and heard system wide. TAC 12 is nothing new. Its been used for years as a TAC channel for Oneida Lake Incidents. It roams across all CNYICC systems. Used by Brewerton, Bridgeport, W Monroe, Constantia, Cleveland, N Bay, South Bay, or anyone on an Oneida Lake incident.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone noticed moderate interference on 154.37 Fire Control since the system has been online? Outside antenna at 70 feet. Maybe its just my location

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I can't say I've noticed anything unexpected. Everything I've noticed is simulcast distortion right where it should be. There are not enough towers to get the delay spread within the analog tolerance so there are some nasty distorted areas.

Prospect62

I noticed severe distortion in March and April 2019, right about the time we started using the new system in earnest. It was absolutely horrendous. Since then, the conventional signals have much improved and I notice almost zero distortion anymore. There has been a slight uptick over the last few weeks in weird interference and digital noise, but nothing like it once was. I am absolutely delighted that I can still listen to Oneida County Law and Fire on my old, smooth and mellow Bearcat Electra III. I hope that by the time they switch off the conventional system that SDS200 prices will have come down a bit.

Prospect62

The sites you mention are too close to existing sites and too far away from others. As you know this is a simulcast system, simulcast is precisely engineering for signal levels and delay spread. Analog signals top out 55 microseconds of delay, or about 30km between sites. There is some wiggle room in there depending on the signal ratio. Smith Hill, NYPA would put the tower too close to Higby/Burrstone and too far away from Rome, 911 and Starr Hill. The floyd site puts it much more in the middle and shrinks the delay spread and therefore increases the signal quality. When designing simulcast, higher isn't always better, sometimes its worse!

I just saw this today, if you can believe that.

Good info and stuff I hadn't thought of. Although I have to say I am still confused, as the Burrstone, Higby and COB sites are all within a handful of miles of each other. I'm not getting how Smith Hill/NYPA would be too close to Higby/Burrstone.