Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Oh c'mon... They moved the location of this future tower. Based on your initial response - you didn't even read that part. Instead of discussing the height of the future tower on Erie Blvd, you chose to pounce and call me out for not reading the article. My assumption was they would keep the same tower height as the Turin Road location at RFA (since they are so close). I happen to work in Rome NY and have a good understanding of where these tower options are located. Yes - I made an assumption based on my proximity to the proposed locations and I could have been more clear. But your attitude doesn't help. Please consider contributing and furthering the conversation before posting snarky responses.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Anyone having luck monitoring the current NXDX system with the TRX-1?

I was considering the TRX-2 (desktop version) for the Rome NXDN system, but don't like what I am reading about the lack of true trunking capabilities in the Whistler solution. How about you - have you tried this? Would love to hear feedback regarding the Rome system.

Maybe I will stick with my DSDPlus solution until the new Oneida County interoperable communications project is completed.

daredevil1

7.75 inch Dual band VHF/UHF antenna. I even tried sitting less than a mile from the repeater.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
7.75 inch Dual band VHF/UHF antenna. I even tried sitting less than a mile from the repeater.

I would suggest using an Externally Mounted Yagi...I have installed several of these for customers up in Lewis County with alot of success.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
After being away from work for a week, I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see the new tower at the end of South Charles Street in Rome. This tower is there to support the new Oneida County P25 system. If I recall correctly, the tower is 195 feet in height.

Last edited:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
So what are they using for the main public safety (law/fire) communications? Is anything of interest able to be heard?

I was in Utica this week and decided not to bother loading any of the systems in my 1095. I figured it would've been a waste of time after seeing the discussions about it. The only thing I put in was my standard list of NYSP and the Thruway.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Most of the communities within Oneida County use a common VHF analog system for law enforcement and mutual aid services. Unfortunately, the larger cities use differing systems and technologies. The city of Rome uses a 400 MHz NXDN NEXEDGE system and the city of Utica (and New Hartford?) uses an 850 MHz EDACS system. Rome's NXND system doesn't work with anyone. I don't know if the Utica system is compatible with others in the county. Hopefully this new P25 Phase II county wide system will fix the incompatibilities between the state, county, and local communities.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I seem to recall a bunch of issues with which systems they use up there so I figured it would've been frustratingly annoying to load all those up for the shirt time I was there.

I appreciate the info for next time though. : )

Prospect62

155.4300 gets you county-wide law dispatch with the exceptions of Utica, Rome and New Hartford PD's.

154.3700 gets you county-wide fire/EMS dispatch with the exceptions of Utica & Rome FDs.

Utica police & fire and New Hartford PD are still on the 800 mhz EDACS system first used in the late 90's. There are links set up (since the 90's) so that Utica and New Hartford PD can monitor and talk on the conventional VHF frequencies but not vice-versa.

Rome PD and FD are on their own private NEXEDGE system until this new system goes live, which from what I've heard is still months away but I am by no means an authority on the subject.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Perfect thank you.

Guess I'll have to allow myself more time to load those city systems next time I go there. ; )

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Prospect62 is probably right about the time it takes to switch over to the new system. It will be interesting to see how long this process really takes once the system is functional and ready for testing. The good news is there is definite progress being made. The new tower in Rome now has multiple antennas coupled with a new building at the base of the tower to house the communications equipment.

Also, there was an update last week on the FCC ULS database. Can anyone explain why there are only two frequencies listed (154.250 and 159.210)? What am I missing?

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0007877539 - ONEIDA, COUNTY OF

Last edited:

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Taking a look at the transaction log, it looks like it is just corrections from the preliminary licensing to the "as-built" parameters. Its a combination of administrative and technical changes. This is pretty common North of Line A where the licensing is done long before the system design.

There are other callsigns associated with the system.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Studgeman - As you suggested, one of the other call signs (WQYF524) shows additional frequencies for this new trunked system. The third call sign (KA7237) lists the frequencies for the conventional channels. Thanks for your help!

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I have the 7 frequencies on the YW licenses in my scanner waiting for a control channel to pop up. Taking an educated guess, I expect to hear something by the end of the month.

For everyone's benefit: The KA7237 is the mobile use of county fire (154.370 and the county fire repeater input.

One of the tricks when looking at trunked licences is you have to look at the station class. FB8/MO8 are the trunked channels. You can have conventional stations on a trunked license.