Online amateur radio license testing in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

One VE could quickly verify ID, then watch a roomful of people taking the test online.
Watching one room with 20 people in it isn't too hard, watching 20 distinct and separate rooms is quite a bit harder especially when your eye is fixed and not theirs...

tbailey1712

In the tech industry, certifications for software/hardware platforms are regularly done online. There are people who their chance of getting a job, or a pay raise, are determined by these certifications.

So there are online tests where the stakes are significantly higher, thus the potential of cheating much higher, and it's all working out just fine. This hobby needs a breath of innovative thinking all over the place. Start with online testing. It'll attract new people to the hobby, who will in turn bring more innovative thinking and discussion.

It's a good thing. Let's give it space to grow.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Online testing. What could possibly go wrong ? :rolleyes:

They will be watched as close or closer when testing online than when the VECs are across the room talking at session after a club meeting.

Online proctoring is going on for many things like college classes, etc, and it’s proving more difficult for them to cheat than before in the classroom.

Just because you don’t know how something works doesn’t mean that it can’t work. Eyeroll or not...

needairtime

In the "tech industry" after you get your certification and you prove to others that you're still incompetent, you get fired.

You can't fire a ham.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Whoaa!! Slow down there. Don't presume to know what I do or do not know. And yes, like many people, I have taken online courses / test and exams. ;)

Awesome. Then you know your eyeroll or wink was out of order. Online testing is done everyday - utilizing locked down browsers made for such, monitoring the test takers via their webcam, etc. - and successfully at that.

As I saw on a video recently discussing this concept for ham exams, the consensus was that online testing would likely be more closely watched than in-person for reasons I described before.

Status
Not open for further replies.