Online amateur radio test... (in Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Ahh, crud, didn't notice.. Sorry.. Well, maybe RAC will work on it once the US version is up an running.. As a VE I have mixed feelings.. How can you make sure they're not cheating?? But, it would open the hobby to a lot of people that don't have easy access to a VE session... Our local VE group just disbanded, and all tests moved 45 minutes away.

k6cpo

Ahh, crud, didn't notice.. Sorry.. Well, maybe RAC will work on it once the US version is up an running.. As a VE I have mixed feelings.. How can you make sure they're not cheating?? But, it would open the hobby to a lot of people that don't have easy access to a VE session... Our local VE group just disbanded, and all tests moved 45 minutes away.

Which VEC were they affiliated with? It might be possible for them to affiliate with a different VEC and get the exams local again.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
They switched to ARRL. Haven't heard anything since the group switched, and not interested in ARRL.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The Canadian government has an online exam generator that uses the questions from the question bank that the exam is based on. This exam is the 'beginners' exam.. (A bit harder than the US Tech Exam :) ). But.. If you get over 80%, you have HF privileges right away.

In the link below select "Basic Practice Exam:

scanmanmi

I STRONGLY advise you to avoid any type of "practice exam". This is very important. Your brain tries to absorb all types of information and make associations. Every time you take a multiple choice test you fill your brain with wrong answers. Your eyes look at the words and your brain composes the sentences and then you make a conscious choice about situation. When you take the real test you will remember seeing all those wrong answers before. Here's what I would do. Go ahead and get a PRINTED copy of a test and black out every wrong answer leaving only the question and the correct answer. Then when you take the real test you will recognize the correct answer and all the others will look like foolishness.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I STRONGLY advise you to avoid any type of "practice exam". This is very important. Your brain tries to absorb all types of information and make associations. Every time you take a multiple choice test you fill your brain with wrong answers. Your eyes look at the words and your brain composes the sentences and then you make a conscious choice about situation. When you take the real test you will remember seeing all those wrong answers before. Here's what I would do. Go ahead and get a PRINTED copy of a test and black out every wrong answer leaving only the question and the correct answer. Then when you take the real test you will recognize the correct answer and all the others will look like foolishness.

Where can I get a printed copy of an actual test? Is there a test out there with all possible answers that you will ever see?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Without any formal electronic training, it's pretty tough to just memorize questions. There are hundreds of them.

Best bet would be to pick up a Canadian Basic Amateur study guide. Everything you need to know is there. After you've gone over the book, then look at the multiple choice questions.. Take the test to see how well you've done. Even better, contact your local ham radio club and see if they offer classes. Many do. Look here for study guides: Amateur Radio Study Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.