Online eastern sierra nevada scanner feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

Hello . does any one have any links to Online eastern sierra nevada scanner feeds
manly from bishop to bridgeport california, if you do i would greatly apriciate a
the info , if you dont want to post the link , pm me

thanks

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Ask ExSmokey

RR member ExSmokey (KG6DHV) is very knowledgeable regarding the Sierra Nevada range. He is a great resource; and very thorough, might I add.

You can either ask him, or I am sure he will be along shortly to post a reply here.

ExSmokey's "the man" when it comes to the Sierras (and so much more)! ;)

PS. Whatever the outcome, be sure to post the answer to your question here for others to gain the knowledge, too. THX

mkewman

unfortunatly, those are far and few between, and i wouldn't be suprised if there were none online. This area (eastern sierras) is almost completely without land based broadband internet access, therefore it'd be very hard to stream a scanner.

but, i've been wrong before. post it if you find anything! especially firebased!

1979lee

mkewman said:
unfortunatly, those are far and few between, and i wouldn't be suprised if there were none online. This area (eastern sierras) is almost completely without land based broadband internet access, therefore it'd be very hard to stream a scanner.

but, i've been wrong before. post it if you find anything! especially firebased!

Hey all,
thanks for replying, yeah i did a google search and found one but its not working

http://www.mattlogic.com/scanner/scanner17.html

did'nt think about the broadband thing,
i live in bakersfield so the mountains to the east obvisoly block all radio signals that
i can hear, i occasonially get the chp gold 42.120 office 59 only thought and its only in the morning (5am to 10am pst), and not very active, so i guess iam outta luck
well i'll keep looking and if anyone knows of any scanner feeds let me know

thanks, lee

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Given the population base continuing to grow, and the development of the area, I would think that Mammoth Lakes (and to some extent, Bishop) would have at least have Cable Modem?

I can't imagine any of the other towns (Independence, Bridgeport, Big Pine, etc) having it, but those two ought to have some sort of broadband.

SCPD

QRT
We have DSL and cable broadband here. As far as I know it is available in every town, but I could be wrong there. We do have it in Bishop and Mammoth. In Mammoth there is supposedly a two year wait for a new DSL connection and the situation might be the same in Bishop. If it is that way in the two largest towns in the region, I would imagine it is that way in all the other towns as well. The number of circuits going south is limited or they don't have the capacity in the central switch in each town, or both. I've heard a couple of versions but don't remember what my very phone savvy friend told me about a year ago.

Electricity, phones, UPS/Fed Ex, mail, and propane are all provided from the south, up to and including the Mountain Warfare Training Center (MWTC) north of Bridgeport near the U.S. 395/S.R. 108 (Sonora Pass) junction. From that point it is only 17 miles to the town of Walker, CA. When people at the MWTC call someone in Walker, the message is carried by wires down to Bridgeport to that switch, then goes out on microwave to Conway Summit, all the way south to a southern crossing of the Sierra near Mojave and Tehachapi, all the way up the west side of the Sierra in the Central Valley, over the Donner Pass area, into Reno, then down the valley at the base of the Carson Range, then the base of the Sierra, and into the town of Walker, where this path ends. UPS delivery trucks do not drive between Sonora Junction and Walker, SCE ends at the Sonora Junction Caltrans maintenance station, mail devlivery does not bridge this gap, and services such as propane, car parts, and the like do not cross it either. As we are on so many different lines which dead end in the northern end of Mono County, it is difficult for companies make up for the substantial investment for providing additional capacity for a relatively low payoff.

The state's microwave system does bridge the gap and both CA DPR and DFG are dispatched by "Northern" in Ranco Cordova. Recognizing the problems of having all voice/data circuits on one southerly path entering/leaving the county seat, the Forest Service, installed microwave when they updated the Toiyabe National Forest's radio system back in 1987/1988. They put a dish up on the Sheriff's station in Bridgeport, which makes a short hop to the Ranger Station, which then links to a local mountain, and then into Reno, some of it via the State of Nevada's microwave system. When I was working out of the Ranger Station in Bridgeport, we dialed an access code and brought up a dial tone in Reno. Saved us big bucks on long distance. I have digressed here.

I have been contacted about putting one in by a couple of different people in the past year or so. I have some limitations that prevent it, however. First, as I understand it I need to dedicate one computer to the online scanner. I don't have a second computer to spare. Even if I did I do not have space for another one in my condo. When I lived in Bridgeport I had a 4 bedroom house, a 28 x 30 foot garage, and the best darn view out the windows I probably will ever have from a house. When I moved to Mammoth the amount of equity from that house was almost laughable in this town and quickly realized I would be moving into a smallish condo, versus buying a single family house.

I have an 8 month season ending November 30th with the company I work for a 10 hour, 4 day schedule, and am quite busy getting ready for winter or am taking advantage of the last opportunities to recreate without snow. Hopefully, when winter hits, I will be able to update the database for Mono and Inyo Counties.

1979lee

Exsmokey, always love hearing your tales of loiving ing the mono ca area.
this week i will be going to bishop from bakersfield via hwy 58/us395
Are there any changes that are not in the database i need to know about?

thanks lee

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
1979lee said:
Exsmokey, always love hearing your tales of loiving ing the mono ca area.
this week i will be going to bishop from bakersfield via hwy 58/us395
Are there any changes that are not in the database i need to know about?

thanks lee

The database does not show much and as I said in my previous post it will be some time until I can make the submissions I need to make to bring it up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.