Onondaga county CNYICC

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan1806

does anyone know of any changes made to the radio system? At 8 am I heard them announce a reminder that the new system is now being used as of sunday

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
Haven't heard anything, but will keep my ears open and post anything I come across. Thanks for the heads-up.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Not trying to be a wiseguy but...

Are you sure they were referring to a new radio system? If you didn't actually hear them speaking about the radios it could be anything; fuel cards, automatic alarms, CAD...

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ok. That still could mean a couple of things since you aren't sure who said it.

I'm pretty sure they don't have a "new radio system". But I also noticed you said "reminder". It's possible, if it was SFD, that they are reminding people not to use the old analog radios. They were still simulcasting/dispatching on the 153 frequency last time I was up there a few months ago, so maybe they have those radios still...? I'm guessing that's not the case after this long but you never know.

At this point, judging from the database, I'm going to say it's TLC now that they came on board to the digital system.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if you, or anyone else, can figure out who it was.

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening pretty hard the past few days, and haven't picked up any chatter at all on any changes. I also checked local news, as well as the CNYICC website itself and found nothing. It may be, as AuntEnvy indicated, they finally phased out the old analog simulcast. I have it programmed in, but haven't heard it trip the squelch in a while, so that may very well be what happened. Those VHF units had to be getting pretty long in the tooth by now I'd imagine, and it probably wasn't worth the cost to maintain them and the repeaters along with any other analog infrastructure.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
This took place on City Fire channel 1 while testing tones. It was during the Sunday morning Gong, Speaker & Annunciator test.

Dispatcher replied "using the new Sunday system." Never once did he mention "new radio system is now in use." So that's false. Besides, even though the radio system has been in place for several years now, it is still fairly new (to some users), and will be in place for many more years to come.

Keep in mind that the county is rolling out with the PrimeAlert Fire Station Alerting System (Locution Systems). This is a Automated Voice Alerting/paging that is done on dispatch channels.

It has already been rolled out on Onondaga County EMS Dispatch (Fire ch-7).

It will eventually be rolled out with Onondaga County Fire, and Syracuse City Fire as well (if not already). They have been testing this for a while now.

In fact, you can hear it on talkgroups 201 & 203. EMS was on 202, but it is now rolled over onto EMS ch-7 fulltime.

VHF simulcast is still going on, on 153.950 Syracuse City Fire.

Last edited:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
There you have it! Thanks KC2.

As I said previously, it might be something else, not necessarily a "new radio system".

I did notice the auto-dispatch a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.