Onslow County Fire / Bear Creek VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKOben

Hello everyone, I am extremely new to all this and have a few questions. I am a active duty USN corpsman stationed here in Onslow County and I have recently started volunteering at Bear Creek VFD. I was told I should look into getting a scanner. As of right now my only notice to go to a call right now is the large siren that starts up at the station when a call goes out. I started listening to the onslow county fire dispatch on Broadcastify but I am interested in setting a scanner up in my POV. I would be listening to Onslow county fire dispatch and BCFVD as well as other local fire stations as well. my budget would be around 200 give or take. I would appreciate any help you can provide. The whole scanner thing is a bit confusing to me still.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Well according to the database Onslow fire is still analog, but Jacksonville appears to be digital. I don't know much about Onslow or if they plan on transitioning to a digital system in the near future but as of right now you can use anything that will pick up vhf analog. That will help you stay in your budget for sure. Something like an Uniden BC355C will work nicely. They are pretty small and easy to mount. However, you can just ebay and craigslist and about anything you come across will do just fine and a used one will likely be a bit cheaper. Just make sure it's capable of receiving in the 150Mhz range. I bought my last analog scanner at a yard sale for 15 dollars. Hope that helps you get going in the right direction.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
No selling things outside of the Classified section folks.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.