Onslow County Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedawg0069

I saw something in the database about onslow county going completely to 800 MHZ but it still list the fire departments as being on VHF High. so my question is have they converted to 800 MHZ or are the fire departments still using VHF High frequencies and are the ones listed correct since narrow banding went into effect

yardbird

To my knowledge there will always be a need for counties to maintain there legacy systems.

Till they come out with a 800 Mhz. Trunking pager they will still need a way to alert volunteers for calls.

The only way I can see them getting away with their VHF system is to provide every firefighter in the county with a 800 Mhz. radio. I don't really see that happening with volunteer fire departments just trying to make ends meet for operating cost. (ie. Insurance, fuel, equipment maint.).

Now they could do like a lot of other counties in the state, using the VHF channel for paging purposes and then assigning an 800 Mhz. operations channel for the duration of the call.

But still firefighters that don't have a 800 Mhz. radio are still screwed unless they have the money to afford a high dollar digital scanner.

I think there is a patch for the VHF Fire Channel across the Onslow 800 Mhz. System.

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There is a full-time patch for Onslow County Fire Dispatch on the county 800 system, but the primary is still VHF. Onslow County Sheriff also has a full-time patch as well, but theirs is digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.