OnStar interference with mount location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railfan74

I've used mag mounts for years. Frankly, tired of the poor reception, paint damage and replacing them every 2 to 3 years. My thoughts are to lip mount an 18" antenna to driver's side trunk of my 07 Impala. This way I can avoid lower hanging branches or if I have to park in a garage. The OnStar electronics are located in the trunk on same side. I don't use that service. Would I be better off putting the antenna on passenger side? Receiving only. Using a Uniden aBC75XLT.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
As many members will tell you, magnetic-mounted antennas are (supposed to be) a temporary solution, thinking of a permanently-mounted antenna mount on your vehicle as you have experienced poor performance and paint damage to your vehicle(s). Some vehicle owners are reticent to drill holes in their cars & trucks, but that has NEVER been my case. A trunk-lid mount itself is another compromise, especially dealing with a decent ground when the mount is attached to the trunk lid with set screws. They must "bite" into the surface beyond the paint to make a decent connection to the vehicle's body ground.

Personally, I mostly use NMO mounts on my cars. I've bought, leased, returned, and sold many of my vehicles, two of them with the radios and antennas still mounted and functioning. My current installation has 13 antennas for various functioning radios, including Motorola Astro Spectras for P25 digital, XPR4550's for MotoTRBO/DMR, 222 MHz. Uniden 536HP scanner to monitor the Illinois statewide Starcom21 P25 trunked public safety system, two Motorola VRS-750 cross-band repeaters, and several others.

In your case, you mentioned that you will have one scanning receiver. For optimum performance, I suggest an NMO-mounted permanent antenna base. You can change antennas for any frequency range that you wish or put on an 18" whip which will work just fine for UHF/VHF and 700-900 MHz. Receive. I would suggest an EM Wave EMFLX-M10001 with an
NMO base rubberized spring/whip/mount antenna. Getting the whip cut for 150 MHz. will work just fine for VHF as a 1/4 wave and UHF 3/4 wave for a great reception on the UHF/700-900 MHz. Bands.

This excellent antenna goes for $29.95 for the antenna only. You'd need to purchase an NMO mount with cable and an appropriate connector to attach the feedline to your scanner. Antenna Farm sells the NMO mount with your preferred connector for about $16.95. Quite a few members have purchased antenna products from The Antenna Farm and have been quite satisfied with their service, pricing, and shipping. They also have trunk-lid, magnetic, and mirror mounts for large commercial vehicles.

www.theantennafarm.com

Attachments

• EM Wave EMFLX-M10001.jpg
    EM Wave EMFLX-M10001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 9

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a permanent mount 1/4 wave VHF antenna on the roof of my wife's Chevy Colorado. She's got XM/OnStar in it. Never had an issue with receiving or transmitting at 50 watts, and the antennas are about 16" apart.

Trunk lip mounts are almost worse than mag mounts for damage. Do the drill, do it right, never look back. I did a few NMO installs on Impalas around the age of yours. Most went in the center of the trunk lid. Worked very well.

Railfan74

I have a permanent mount 1/4 wave VHF antenna on the roof of my wife's Chevy Colorado. She's got XM/OnStar in it. Never had an issue with receiving or transmitting at 50 watts, and the antennas are about 16" apart.

Trunk lip mounts are almost worse than mag mounts for damage. Do the drill, do it right, never look back. I did a few NMO installs on Impalas around the age of yours. Most went in the center of the trunk lid. Worked very well.
The next vehicle I purchase will have a NMO center roof installation. Not sure on how much longer this one will last.

Railfan74

The next vehicle I purchase will have a NMO center roof installation. Not sure on how much longer this one will last.
Just to run this by people more knowledgeable, if I mount the antenna to the left rear fender on my unibody Impala, would that help at all with grounding? I plan to clean up the mount area from paint first. I can then run the wire around the bumper area to the passenger side to eliminate interference from rear window defroster. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.