Ontario County 700 MHz Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Ontario County Officials have applied to the FCC, to begin licensing their 700 MHz Project 25 TRS. The system will be divided into two simulcast cells, 15 transmitters in all to cover the county. Ontario County has requested an extended implementation period for this new radio system. This will give the Harris Corp., and the County time to complete the upgrade of the communications center, and properly train dispatch personnel. More information can be found at this location:

FCC Application

Supporting Letter

Environmental Impact Study

73s

Ron

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
700MHz and Harris Corp huh? Just when everyone else in the region is going to 400MHz trunked and using Motorola! Then you have to buy extra infrastructure and equipment and software and upkeep just so everyone can talk to each other! So much for interoperability!

Mike

k2hz

Database Admin
Monroe County is also planning Harris 700MHz and the other counties adjacent to Ontario are remaining VHF for now. I think that interoperabilty issues remain to be determined for this region.

Also, the Monroe County system will be non-emergency agencies only for the first several years so there is a big question mark over everything. There is a big political factor with the presence of Harris Corp factories in the area influencing decisions.

I wonder if the "extended Implementation" request will give them a waiver to avoid narrowbanding their existing VHF systems while they get their act together to move to 700.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The FCC has indicated they would be willing to consider a waiver for an agency switching to a new system. But the FCC was talking in terms of a few months not years. The were also going to be looking for substantional progress on the new system and reasonableness that the extra time would result in a transistion. I don't see Ontario Co. meeting that litmus test.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I don't believe the FCC has any guidelines for narrow band waivers, their description of requirements is vague and I have yet to find one on paper filing for waiver to look at and come up with what they are looking for. Going with Harris which is a local company to that area of the state is a good idea, plus Harris makes the best military radios in the world, so why not public safety. Their product is probably going to be the M and P 7300, based on a platform that has been around for years from GE/Ericson/MaComm. They are going 700 maybe because there are no 400 channels available, and you can't fault them on that aspect. Motorola isn't the best product made anymore, there are lots of companies here and abroad that use the same techniques to manufacture an excellent product, especially for public safety, and most of what Motorola makes isn't even made in the U.S. anymore.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.