Ontario Incidents and Breaking News

Should we add a Incidents and Breaking News sub-forum to the Ontario forum?

• Yes

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,

I want to get some feedback from you the members to add a sub-forum for Ontario incidents and breaking news.

What do you guys think? Should we add something like this or not bother. I did not make this poll public for members to see who voted.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Sure, as long as someone doesnt post that CISO or Intell are tageting the mafia or HA's and they arent using encryption.

pathalogical

What would be the criteria for this sub forum ? We can't have people posting stuff because they heard an OPP ops channel that's rarely used, or, whenever a couple lanes on the 401 get closed or TTC on diversion with shuttle buses because of problems at track level. The media would have a feild day with those types of stories from their breaking news desk.

The only thing that would affect Ontario or a large portion of it would be the weather. Last weeks ongoing continuous coverage of all the tornados we were supposed to get (media hype ?) or last years massive snow storm which were supposed to get and forced closures of schools and businesses (more hype ?) which turned to be only several cms of snow. OK, you guys know what I mean about the hype, but we really don't know what the weather will leave behind until after it passes.

Another type of incident could be school lockdowns as this would cause major concerns for parents.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I could post on a sticky that no CISO, undercover operations, frequencies/TG not be posted. Anything like that would be deleted.

Things that can be posted would be Structure fires, PD Chases/or large incidents, Rescue's etc. Just throwing out some ideas.

I brought this up because I received some emails within the last year as to why the Ontario forum don't have a sub-forum for incidents like the other regional forums.

No Brian, unfortunetly you will not get paid:lol:

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I think its a good idea for ontario, its already being used for the US states and works well.

Yes not every incident will affect all parts of this large province, but its still a good idea.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I think this is a great idea. I've been hanging out in the Michigan Forum and noticed they have such a sub-forum. I do know it was mentioned a few years ago but everyone was using the Yahoo Group....i personally haven't been on the "Hot Shot" forum for a couple of years.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Please, no press releases or media alerts after the incident has taken place.

What happened a day ago really isn't breaking news.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Please, no press releases or media alerts after the incident has taken place.

What happened a day ago really isn't breaking news.

Why that almost sounds like half the tweets i see, 3 hours later after the fact that everybody and their brother has tweeted the heck out of that story..

here is a thought, maybe inlist some "Dispatcher" for the job?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Here is a test call that i would post... (fire related big surprise)

House Fire : 123 Any Street Mississauga (Mavis & Derry) - Tac 2 : Report of Flames visible, all occupants out of the house..

Would that be exceptable? Would we lock that threat except for the poster so he/she can only post updates?

gary123

I think it would be good idea.

many times I am stuck on hiways and have no real idea on the nature of the incident aside from "Hiway 401 closed at Hiway 6". by the time I peice together the info from the radio too much time has often passed.

Coverted

Premium Subscriber
Think about it?

Here are my issues with this. 1) There would be no control over what is posted. 2) These posts getting around to the wrong people (Police Boards ect.) could put us as scanners even farther behind by giving them more reasons to go to full encryption which no audio discriminator tap with DSD running on linux in virtual can fix. Its already hard enough to keeping up with latest technologies without shooting our self in the foot.

Canadian Law as it stands specify s you are not allowed to divulge anything heard on your scanner and you are also not allowed to use any info heard for personal gain. If people start posting all the juicy stuff they have heard trying to out do each other I think it will be the beginning of the end.

RickLeb

I think this is a great idea, but only if it doesn't follow the path of the Ontario Hotshots. This group suffers from two major problems. Way too many trivial events, and not enough detail in the header.

Messages should only be about events that affect a a large number of people. For example traffic accidents that would shut down highway 400 for hours, or major fires that have possible health risks to the entire neighborhood. Severe weather warnings and Amber Alerts would also be acceptable.

As a retired firefighter, I enjoy nothing more than listening to fire calls in my own city, but I don't want to hear about every call in a city 500 KM away. Then have an update five minutes later reporting that it was just a false alarm. I find that by the time I receive the alert, the event is over is most cases..

I would also like to see more details in the subject header so that I don't have to open each message to find out if the event is in my area. The header should be similar to "Hwy 400 NB Closed at Hwy 89". I can then choose if I want to open the full message for more details. A header like "Highway Closed" just doesn't cut it with me.

Rick

Last edited:

gary123

Law Enforcement dosnt want anyone listening to anything. If we the public cannot "monitor" our law enforcment activities and only get our information from what law enforcement chooses to release then we loose control of law enforcement.

To quote Plato "quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (roughly translated "who polices the police") we do and we do it in part through scanners. We pay law enforcement and as such have some right to know what they are doing. But this is way off topic for the posting. I see no issue with what is suggested as it isnt far removed from what local media report (just faster).

Here are my issues with this. 1) There would be no control over what is posted. 2) These posts getting around to the wrong people (Police Boards ect.) could put us as scanners even farther behind by giving them more reasons to go to full encryption which no audio discriminator tap with DSD running on linux in virtual can fix. Its already hard enough to keeping up with latest technologies without shooting our self in the foot.

Canadian Law as it stands specify s you are not allowed to divulge anything heard on your scanner and you are also not allowed to use any info heard for personal gain. If people start posting all the juicy stuff they have heard trying to out do each other I think it will be the beginning of the end.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I don't see what the point of doing it in a forum is though. I mean, we don't get instant notifications from an ongoing thread anyways, I know, I don't get all the messages from these in my email which by the way is all done on my phone. Again, it's actually quicker and a much better format to get this sort of stuff through places like IPN the site I posted earlier. But either which way, doesn't matter, I'd still subscribe to the thread here, I just think there's quicker ways to get the info.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That's one reason I've never thought it was a good idea.

By the time you read the post, the incident is over.

Email notification groups offer almost instant notification.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I thought the Yahoo group does a pretty good job at getting stuff like this across. I always try to include as much information in there as possible in the 5 or 10 times a year that I post.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I don't see what the point of doing it in a forum is though. I mean, we don't get instant notifications from an ongoing thread anyways, I know, I don't get all the messages from these in my email which by the way is all done on my phone. Again, it's actually quicker and a much better format to get this sort of stuff through places like IPN the site I posted earlier. But either which way, doesn't matter, I'd still subscribe to the thread here, I just think there's quicker ways to get the info.

lets stop pushing IPN, there own downfall will be the anal retarded mods who nit pick at everything.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
actually now that i think about it Id rather have it be a group you join instead of public ,...unfortunately

I dont want to give them any more reason to go enc
We need to find a private way to share among trusted members

Status
Not open for further replies.