oooops. SDS100 SMA connector kapoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynlr

Premium Subscriber
scanner fell off desk with old bnc antenna installed via the included sma bnc adapter. and snap! connector on radio broke off flush with the bottom of sma connection. I keep calling after uniden is closed but having used handheld scanners for 30 + years that were not sma this has never happened before. talking a drop of about 24 " to hard carpeted floor antenna first. I must have dropped the old ones off my desk like this hundreds of times. I will update with Unidens thoughts on this when I remember to call before they close.
the good news is I got almost 3 weeks use before this happened.

Attachments

• sds100smabroke.jpg
    sds100smabroke.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,251

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's why I don't care for the Uniden BNC adapter, it has zero lateral support and all of the stress of impact is applied to the SMA connector.

robtro

SMA was a ridiculous idea IMHO.

Queue the "MUH CONNECTOR IS SUPERIOR BECAUSE THINGS" debate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
SMA is a good idea but should have reversed the male female connections allowing use of a more wide array of Antenna choices i.e motorola

the problem over the last 30 years of scanning i have encountered with BNC is the "Ears" tend to get worn over time and antennas become loose

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Sma/bnc connector

When I use the SMA / BNC connector witch is full time now, I use the connector available thru jonwienke. Solid base machined to incorporate the SDS100, able to grip the connector easily.

BigWonton

Yeesh, sorry to hear about that OP. I've also been using Jon's adapter and IMHO it distributes the forces much better than the factory adapter.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Yikes. Thats a tough spot to be in. It was an accident and not really something thats covered under warranty as its user abuse but with the few issues the SDS100 has hopefully uniden will step up and help out an early adopter. Nothing like taking care of early adapters of new tech customers.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Uniden's SDS100 BNC adapter is a terrible design. Pick up the one Jon is selling, well worth the money and it's a lot more secure.

Jon, you need a new avartar and signature to include the BNC adapter.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I was unaware that Jon was selling a better adapter. Can someone please post a link where I can purchase one. I will probably buy two. Thank you.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for info MtnBiker2005. I have already contacted Jon by PM and just ordered two adapters through Pay Pal. Also, just read your fix for SMA on 436 Rich. Everybody have a great day.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Metal bookends work well too to hold handheld scanners.

The belt-clip fits (slides) on top and the metal bookend can be bend back for a better viewing angle if needed.

I have used these of different sizes for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.