OP25 boatbod on Raspberry Pi 5

jegallag

Feed Provider
I recently purchased another Pi a Pi 5 8GB model and am trying to get OP25 to run on it. OP25 seems to be working fine, but I am not getting any audio output. I have several other versions of OP25 running on Pi-4s with no issues. I have a USB audio dongle, and can play audio out on the Pi-5, but can't get any audio out of the Pi-5. I have set the audio output in OP25 with the -O plughw:2,0 option.
Any thoughts?
Also, does anyone know if there will be a new version of the Broadcastify image coming out built on the Bookworm OS?
Thanks,
John Gallagher

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I recently purchased another Pi a Pi 5 8GB model and am trying to get OP25 to run on it. OP25 seems to be working fine, but I am not getting any audio output. I have several other versions of OP25 running on Pi-4s with no issues. I have a USB audio dongle, and can play audio out on the Pi-5, but can't get any audio out of the Pi-5. I have set the audio output in OP25 with the -O plughw:2,0 option.
Any thoughts?
Also, does anyone know if there will be a new version of the Broadcastify image coming out built on the Bookworm OS?
Thanks,
John Gallagher
I have a new Pi 5 sitting on my lab bench so I can update the image. I'm waiting on some third party tool updates which I want to bundle with the image to be have some developments completed.

jegallag

Feed Provider
I have a new Pi 5 sitting on my lab bench so I can update the image. I'm waiting on some third party tool updates which I want to bundle with the image to be have some developments completed.
Lindsay,
Any updates on the Pi5 image?
Thanks,
John G

wgbecks

I recently purchased another Pi a Pi 5 8GB model and am trying to get OP25 to run on it. OP25 seems to be working fine, but I am not getting any audio output.
John,

Just a shot in the dark, the issue could be with Pulse Audio (PA) while operating further assuming that your Pi-5 has been flashed with
either one of the GUI versions of the Bookworm that also installs PA by default. On Bullseye with PA, you would not normally have any
audio issues as long as the user was logged into a terminal session and executed op25 manually. However, the problem with no audio
would surface attempting to run op25 and any related applications a system service(s).

If that is the case with your Pi-5, then reply back and I will pass along a fairly easy to implement procedure to overcome the permissions
issue imposed by PA that is known to work on Bullseye on the Pi-4 hardware.

Bill

jegallag

Feed Provider
John,

Just a shot in the dark, the issue could be with Pulse Audio (PA) while operating further assuming that your Pi-5 has been flashed with
either one of the GUI versions of the Bookworm that also installs PA by default. On Bullseye with PA, you would not normally have any
audio issues as long as the user was logged into a terminal session and executed op25 manually. However, the problem with no audio
would surface attempting to run op25 and any related applications a system service(s).

If that is the case with your Pi-5, then reply back and I will pass along a fairly easy to implement procedure to overcome the permissions
issue imposed by PA that is known to work on Bullseye on the Pi-4 hardware.

Bill
There is a good chance that Pulse Audio may be the issue. If you could supply the procedures to overcome that issue, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
John G

boatbod

So you're trying to send the audio to the physical headphone jack not streaming via liquidsoap?
The audio destination "plughw:2,0" is ALSA, so it's probably not a pulse audio issue. You could in fact try "pulse" as the destination to see if that works any better.
What happens if you use the "aplay" utility to send a small .wav found file to the same destination.
e.g. aplay -D plughw:2,0 test.wav