OP25 feature update

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatbod

I caught notes about this update while skimming the repo the other day. I'm excited to take this for a spin. I'll be testing on the Delaware State 800 system. That system currently runs a SmartZone control channel with P25 CAI audio. I've been waiting for them to finish their upgrade to a true P25 system so I could move forward with another project, but now this feature update beats them to it. I'm happy to provide feedback when I get the new version running and configured here.

Regarding the question on running OP25 via WSL, would using rtl_tcp get around the need for WSL to support USB? (I'm not sure what WSL's support for audio might be, as I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet.) I don't have a need to run within WSL here, but I nearly exclusively use rtl_tcp as my source with my current OP25 install, so that thought came to mind.

-Ryan
rtl_tcp is an interesting idea - I've never tried it but it sure would be interesting to see if it works.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a good working install of OP25 that has not been updated in about a year. I do not want to lose anything. Am I understanding that the following will update it? Or does the whole install have to be done from scratch? I don't want to mess this up. And if all it is is the above code, what dir do I run it from? It's been a while. Also this is on a Pi 3B+ if it makes a difference.

Thanks

cd ~/op25
git pull
./rebuild.sh

boatbod

I have a good working install of OP25 that has not been updated in about a year. I do not want to lose anything. Am I understanding that the following will update it? Or does the whole install have to be done from scratch? I don't want to mess this up. And if all it is is the above code, what dir do I run it from? It's been a while. Also this is on a Pi 3B+ if it makes a difference.

Thanks

cd ~/op25
git pull
./rebuild.sh
That is the correct 'major' update procedure. The rebuild.sh will prompt for a sudo password and do the library install once the build is complete.
Code should be compatible with your existing configuration files unless you want to experiment with the next features utilizing mult_rx.py

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. The update procedure worked perfect. Its working good. Can't wait to try smartnet and get bluetooth sound working. Sounded awesome on my Bose speakers.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Ok, what am I doing wrong? When I run the update, I receive the following error:

cd ~/op25
pi@raspberrypi:~/op25 $ git pull

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/op25.sh
Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
Aborting

Night_Watchman

Premium Subscriber
Ok, what am I doing wrong? When I run the update, I receive the following error:

cd ~/op25
pi@raspberrypi:~/op25 $ git pull

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/op25.sh
Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
Aborting
You apparently edited the file. You need to move it to another directory then run the git pull. After that you can copy or move it back to the apps directory.

boatbod

You apparently edited the file. You need to move it to another directory then run the git pull. After that you can copy or move it back to the apps directory.
As a general suggestion I recommend copying/renaming the startup scripts and configuration files so that git pulls do not conflict with local changes.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
As a general suggestion I recommend copying/renaming the startup scripts and configuration files so that git pulls do not conflict with local changes.

I backed up all of my scripts, configuration files, and moved the op25.sh file, resulting a successful upgrade. Thanks to ka2zir and boatbod.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
I backed up all of my scripts, configuration files, and moved the op25.sh file, resulting a successful upgrade. Thanks to ka2zir and boatbod.

Question - once the "git pull; ./rebuild.sh" is run once, do we resume with the "git pull; ./install.sh" or continue using "git pull; ./install.sh" to pick up future changes?

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Question - once the "git pull; ./rebuild.sh" is run once, do we resume with the "git pull; ./install.sh" or continue using "git pull; ./install.sh" to pick up future changes?

Sorry - Correction - Question - once the "git pull; ./rebuild.sh" is run once, do we resume with the "git pull; ./install.sh" or continue using "git pull; ./rebuild.sh" to pick up future changes?

Sidebar: This is exactly my sad experience using the excellent SDR-Console to monitor analog FM railroad communications. Is there any hope for an analog FM SDR squelch system that does not require constant attention as the noise floor varies throughout the day? TNX.

SdrGlut may have what you want. It ties the average signal strength to -90 db - no matter what it is actually or how it drifts - so that a squelch set to -70 db is always 30 db above the average.

boatbod

SdrGlut may have what you want. It ties the average signal strength to -90 db - no matter what it is actually or how it drifts - so that a squelch set to -70 db is always 30 db above the average.
How does that work if you are receiving a strong signal? Wouldn't the average signal strength come up until the signal squelched itself?
I can only imagine sdrglut must be averaging across the whole received spectrum rather than just the tuned portion...

How does that work if you are receiving a strong signal? Wouldn't the average signal strength come up until the signal squelched itself?
I can only imagine sdrglut must be averaging across the whole received spectrum rather than just the tuned portion...
Yes, It is averaging over the entire FFT. Signals move it a tiny bit.

I grew tired of chasing the signal strength. The NetSDR+ signal levels returned by Soapy are five orders of magnitude different from those returned by a RTL-stick. On some devices you can change the gain by four orders of magnitude. This forced letting the FTT float and that is very distracting. I do not have to worry about that any more - the average is always -90 db and the FFT display can be fixed.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I grew tired of chasing the signal strength. The NetSDR+ signal levels returned by Soapy are five orders of magnitude different from those returned by a RTL-stick. On some devices you can change the gain by four orders of magnitude. This forced letting the FTT float and that is very distracting. I do not have to worry about that any more - the average is always -90 db and the FFT display can be fixed.

I'd much prefer that the actual SDR program doing the math incorporate a sane squelch algorithm than have to pull a hacky trick like that to fool it.

The algorithm adds 12 lines of code to the program. It is used to

1). Capture and reject bad frames - Sdrplay devices generate many bad frames per minute other devices a few now and then.

2). Center the FFT plot on the screen no matter the device no matter the devices gain.

3). Permits me to almost always use a squelch level of -70 db - no matter the device.

Show me a "sane squelch algorithm" with 12 lines of code that does that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.