• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

OP25 in Simulcast situations

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
I can't believe that a dummy like me was able to get OP25 to work on my Linux Ubuntu computer, but it works great! My latest toy!

My question is, how does OP25 do in simulcast situations? Fortunately for me, I live in a semi-rural area that does not yet have simulcast, but I'm curious how about other's experiences with reception of P25 simulcast using OP25. Thanks!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
My question is, how does OP25 do in simulcast situations?
I think it's a "your mileage may vary" thing, but it does VERY well on our local Harris P25 simulcast system. Not quite as good as my SDS100, but far better than any other scanner I've tried (BCD325P2, BCD436HP, BCD996P2, PRO-668).

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
Recently I was in Little Rock, and my BCD436HP only did so-so on the Little Rock simulcast. I'm certain that I missed a LOT of traffic, it was silent a lot of the time. I'm going to install Ubuntu on one of my laptops, and then install OP25 configured for the Little Rock simulcast system.

simpilo

Still waiting on Oklahoma City to cut-over to APCO P25 PII TDMA ti see how simulcast is on my copy of OP25. Another P25 system here has a few active talk groups OP25 deocdes really well near perfect decodes. Sometimes I get a burst of a screeching sound. Don't know why.

rivardj

I have OP25 running on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and it seems to handle simulcast fine. I was mobile with my Pi that has a 3.5 inch display on it listening to multiple Detroit area simulcast sites.

simpilo

Could be encrypted traffic? Have you set the --nocrypt parameter?
Its in the open P25 voice. the screeching is mid-transmission. doesn't happen all the time. Encryption is more like garbled not screeching.

./rx.py --nocrypt --args "rtl" --gains 'lna:24' -S 960000 -q 0 -d 0 -v 1 -2 -V -U -T ecoecn1.tsv 2> stderr.2

Last edited:

fredva

Premium Subscriber
Works great on simulcast for me with the proper demodulation. The need for something to handle simulcast better than my 436hp or WS-1080 was why I started using OP25.