OP25 OP25 New "dark mode" style (with screen shot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
While I haven't looked at the code changes for Dark Mode, if it's essentially just .css updates that may be possible to port with minimal effort, but if it impacts main.js (the gui code) then it's a bigger deal.

It's just simple css, a js css selector/toggle, and some more js for the keyboard shortcuts, which really aren't anything to do with dark mode. A simple matter of going through the boatbod css and designing a style. No ties to anything python.

Last edited:

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
You are right, of course. I forget about those because I usually have them off. Thanks for the clarification.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Hi Glenn

*Fantastic* to hear from you, sounds like you are enjoying retirement. I daresay the digital modes have evolved quite a bit since you got back in. There are also numberless digital modes on HF most of which at least in the ham bands are no wider than a voice channel, and can be accessed using a PC interfaced to a conventional HF transceiver.

As discussed recently in another thread there is no easy way to have the boatbod version installed concurrently on the same machine with the version from the osmocom repo. The command lines and TSV files are (mostly) compatible between the two so if you already have one or the other up and running it should be a snap to switch.

The first step is to remove the old version. To do so, cd to the 'build' directory of the installed version which should be one level down from the top level directory of the cloned repo. Then run "sudo make uninstall". This won't delete the contents of the repo but it will delete the libraries and include files and such that were installed in the system libraries under /usr/local/.

Then (after 'cd' back to your home directory, outside of any op25 directory), clone the osmocom repo with
Code:
 https://git.osmocom.org/op25 "directory"

The reason for adding "directory" at the end of the clone command is that the default, op25, may already be a directory name under your home directory, and we don't want to overwrite it. It can be any name, such as "osmocom-op25"...

Then
Code:
cd "directory"               # # # name of directory named in clone command
./install.sh

Once this is done you should be able to start op25 (rx.py) as before - make sure to use the "-l http:127.0.0.1:8080" command line options, then open the browser to URL "http://127.0.0.1:8080" and click the "View" tab to enable the dark mode.

The above assUmes all will go well. If you have trouble please don't hesitate to reach out. Don't worry about being a "Linux lightweight".

Graham has done a lot of work on DMR support in OP25 so that version might be a better fit if you're doing, say, DMR trunked system monitoring. If you want both versions, you might need another PI (I get no commission from them ;) Also OP25 supports transmitting DMR although only as a base station, and some form of SDR or FM RF transmitter is required.

Let me know how you make out, and perhaps there is some way we can connect over ham radio. There are a few DMR linked repeaters that do a think called "echolink" but I haven't played with it at all. Maybe they can provide a route between us...

Max
Sorry to take so long to reply (I was off teaching blind ski guiding and snowshoeing).
I decided to preserve my "boatbod" instance and did get another Pi to experiment with your branch. I got it installed but was only intermittently getting it to run (division by zero errors). I finally discovered that the USB extension cable I was using was faulty. Plugging the dongle directly into the Pi resolved that.

I now can reliably get the software to run but get no audio. I am able to run aplay and do get loud audio via that test.

The rx.py command I am using is:

#!/bin/bash
./rx.py \
--args 'rtl' \
--gains 'lna:30' \
-f 853.7875 \
-D cqpsk \
-l http:127.0.0.1:8080 \
-P constellation \
-S 960000 \
-T trunk.tsv \
-U \
-O pulse \
-v 3 \
-2 \
2>stderr.2

Also, even though I am using the -T parm and the trunk.tsv has the control channels for Portland's P25 (phase 1), I had been receiving an error to the effect that no frequency was specified. I added the -f parm to resolve that.

I was able to view the dark mode output in the browser and that does look nice!

Any suggestions on how to resolve the "no audio" issue?

Thanks!

Glenn

a417

Also, even though I am using the -T parm and the trunk.tsv has the control channels for Portland's P25 (phase 1), I had been receiving an error to the effect that no frequency was specified. I added the -f parm to resolve that.
I also monitor Portlands P25 system w/ a valid .tsv file, and without the -f flag...which leads me to believe that your tsv file is not correct. Would you like to share what you have in the frequencies field of that?

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
a417,

Here is the contents of the trunk.tsv file:
"Sysname" "Control Channel List" "Offset" "NAC" "Modulation" "TGID Tags File" "Whitelist" "Blacklist" "Center Frequency"
"Portland" "853.7875,852.7875,853.2875,853.5375" "0" "0x8a1" "CQPSK""portland.tsv" "" "portland.blist" ""

I haven't been able to find a good explanation of how alsa and pulseaudio relate to each other so I am taking stabs in the dark. I seem to have addressed the "no audio" issue by using the alsamixer to boost the audio.

Thanks for your help!

Glenn

boatbod

a417,

Here is the contents of the trunk.tsv file:
"Sysname" "Control Channel List" "Offset" "NAC" "Modulation" "TGID Tags File" "Whitelist" "Blacklist" "Center Frequency"
"Portland" "853.7875,852.7875,853.2875,853.5375" "0" "0x8a1" "CQPSK""portland.tsv" "" "portland.blist" ""

I haven't been able to find a good explanation of how alsa and pulseaudio relate to each other so I am taking stabs in the dark. I seem to have addressed the "no audio" issue by using the alsamixer to boost the audio.

Thanks for your help!

Glenn
The problem with posting it inline is that the formatting (tabs) disappear so it's not possible to check for validity. You need to post it as an attachment.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
The problem with posting it inline is that the formatting (tabs) disappear so it's not possible to check for validity. You need to post it as an attachment.

Oops - sorry. Here is the trunk.tsv along with the other files used to access the Portland, ME P25 system.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Here is the .zip that contains for P25 Config files.

Attachments

• P25 Config Files.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 7

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Try wrapping it in
Code:
 and

Thanks Mike,

I have seen those "code blocks" in forums before. I now see an "Insert" icon which exposes options of Media, Quote, Spoiler, Inline spoiler, Code, and Inline code. Would it be best to use the Code or Inline code selection to show the Tab Delimited config files?

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I checked your trunk.tsv file and it is formatted correctly with tabs and the proper number of fields.

Code:
"Sysname"    "Control Channel List"    "Offset"    "NAC"    "Modulation"    "TGID Tags File"    "Whitelist"    "Blacklist"    "Center Frequency"
"Portland"    "853.7875,852.7875,853.2875,853.5375"    "0"    "0x8a1"    "CQPSK"    "portland.tsv"    ""    "portland.blist"    ""

Wrap it in CODE tags, like so... Unfortunately, the forum software strips the tabs and replaces them with spaces no matter which wrapper you use.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 6.39.42 AM.png

In portland.tsv, the first line -- talk group 912 -- has a single space between the two fields, should be a tab there. Disregard this. There is a tab there, not a space.

If you still don't get audio, try deleting -O pulse from the command and let OP25 use whatever it finds as the default. I do not use -O in my command line.

Last edited:

KA1RBI

Hi Glenn

On the question about the TSV file, I think that may be a red herring - there are a few quick tests that will get to a proper diagnosis.

As for the need to add the "-f" parameter, that is a rough edge in the osmocom version that Graham has cleaned up. The need for "-f" goes back to old versions of OP25, perhaps a decade or more old now and prior to the cheap RTL SDR era. The absence of "-f" signifies a sound card input, either tapped discriminator audio or low-IF. In the use case that you have the actual value of "-f" is ignored and the trunk CC channel frequencies are taken from the "-T TSV" file.

As an initial check could I have you verify whether or not the receiver is going through the motions of trunking - on the web console you should see the TSBK count increasing and you should also see talkgroup activity. When there is an active call in progress the display should remain stuck on that talkgroup for the duration of the call with an "Unencrypted" message displayed. The answers to this will determine the next test.

I tried your rx.py command line here and after adding a "-q X" to get rid of the PPM error and changing to my local tsv file I'm receiving audio OK.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
I checked your trunk.tsv file and it is formatted correctly with tabs and the proper number of fields.

Code:
"Sysname"    "Control Channel List"    "Offset"    "NAC"    "Modulation"    "TGID Tags File"    "Whitelist"    "Blacklist"    "Center Frequency"
"Portland"    "853.7875,852.7875,853.2875,853.5375"    "0"    "0x8a1"    "CQPSK"    "portland.tsv"    ""    "portland.blist"    ""

Wrap it in CODE tags, like so... Unfortunately, the forum software strips the tabs and replaces them with spaces no matter which wrapper you use.

View attachment 100175

In portland.tsv, the first line -- talk group 912 -- has a single space between the two fields, should be a tab there. Disregard this. There is a tab there, not a space.

If you still don't get audio, try deleting -O pulse from the command and let OP25 use whatever it finds as the default. I do not use -O in my command line.

Thanks for examining my trunk.tsv.

I will give the removal of the -O parm a shot.

You may have seen that Max has an explanation for the need for the -f parm and suggested a couple of tests I plan to do tonight.

I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Glenn

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Max

I removed the -O parm and am now getting audio. Prior to that change I was seeing the TSBK incrementing and also saw talkgroups/unencrypted showing up.

I have done a fair bit of searching the web to gain a good understanding of ALSA and Pulseaudio. There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on whether and how they should be used together. I had seen an article from the Pi Foundation announcing the last major release that sounded like Pulseaudio was the way to go so I thought I would try using it. Maybe it's not quite "ready for prime time".

Thanks for your help.

On the possibility of catching up over the air, I only have TX ability on DMR. The TGIF Network is on the brink of some significant improvements in infrastructure. I understand that when that is completed (next week or two) we could dynamically setup and use a talkgroup whose number is my DMR-ID. If you have DMR capability, we could try that.

Glenn

boatbod

PulseAudio and ALSA both work fine, but sometimes they don't work so well together. On some systems (particularly the RPi4 when running headless) there have been multiple instances of permissions problems causing a lack of audio. I wish I could be more specific about what & how to fix it, but the usual answer is to try pulse and if that doesn't work try alsa, or vice versa.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
PulseAudio and ALSA both work fine, but sometimes they don't work so well together. On some systems (particularly the RPi4 when running headless) there have been multiple instances of permissions problems causing a lack of audio. I wish I could be more specific about what & how to fix it, but the usual answer is to try pulse and if that doesn't work try alsa, or vice versa.

I had made a series of changes based upon my limited knowledge/understanding supplemented by suggestions/opinions found on the internet.

I have reverted to a fresh install of Pi OS and install of OP25. I will try removing the -O pulseadio parm and see how that works.

Thanks

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.