Op25 on Odroid XU4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD9O

Hello:

I am looking for a reasonably priced system to install Ubuntu and OP25 on to monitor a couple of P25 systems. I'm enjoying the computer-based scanning experience with DSDPlus on Windows, but it doesn't look like op25 will cross-compile (at least I don't see anyone having done it) on Win 7 or cygwin.

If I need to, I'll go the Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix route (since I would like to put a portable system together), but that's more than the cost of a BCD436HP.

Does anyone know if the Odroid XU4 will handle op25? Basic specs: Dual CPU (Samsung Exynos5422 ARM® CortexTM-A15 Quad 2.0GHz/CortexTM-A7 Quad 1.4GHz), 2GB memory, USB 3.0/2.0, 10/100/1000 ethernet. Looks like no onboard audio, so that's one USB dongle, another for the RTL receiver, and one for wifi if needed.

Curious on people's thoughts. I imagine the slightly faster CPU, plus the addition of a second CPU, will offer better performance than the Pi 3, but I don't know if it's enough to make op25 work well.

jcook11

Feed Provider
Check out SDRTrunk if you want to monitor P25 on Windows. Works quite well. In my experience it uses much less CPU than OP25, although much more RAM. I've been wanting to try these types of solutions on a single board type of computer myself but haven't gotten around to that. It will take a high end model to have a chance at it.

AD9O

Thanks. Unfortunately SDRTrunk doesn't work wit hthe screen reader I use to interact with the computer. Also, no phase 2 yet as far as I know. (I failed to include that in the original post).

I did end up picking up a XU4. Been trying to use the new, non pybombs, recipe to install op25. Unfortunately, the gnuradio in the repo is 3.7.2 and there is no gr-osmosdr. When I download the latest gr-osmosdr it complains that I need gnuradio 3.7.8. I need to fool around with it a bit more.

AD9O

I can't figure out how to edit my post, but I wanted to amend my earlier comments. I did actually get SDRTrunk working with a screen reader (sometimes the Java Access Bridge can be...finiky). So thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.