OP25 OP25 on Windows subsystem for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

plusEric26

I tried to get this working. I couldn't get gnuradio to work. I'm no linux expert though.

I first tried installing gnuradio the standard way through packages. Didn't work. I tried compiling from source and found quite a few things missing to do even that, after fixing them it seemed to work but yet op25 still had errors related to gnuradio (although different ones) after I finally got it to compile.

I might try again, but it seems like it won't be very straight forward at all, if it will work.

I did this with ubuntu on WSL.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I tried to get this working. I couldn't get gnuradio to work. I'm no linux expert though.

I first tried installing gnuradio the standard way through packages. Didn't work. I tried compiling from source and found quite a few things missing to do even that, after fixing them it seemed to work but yet op25 still had errors related to gnuradio (although different ones) after I finally got it to compile.

I might try again, but it seems like it won't be very straight forward at all, if it will work.

I did this with ubuntu on WSL.
Did you use the Boatbod version / method? It's a lot easier.

hamfan22

After quite a bit of tinkering, I have not found a way to make it work. I installed the boatbod version of op25 and the install worked, but I ran into the issue of getting ubuntu to recognize the rtlsdr. Using lsusb doest't produce anything, so the big hurdle will be getting the sdr into ubuntu. I did see an article that WSL supports serial devices, so that could be an option?

DRL-XM43

After quite a bit of tinkering, I have not found a way to make it work. I installed the boatbod version of op25 and the install worked, but I ran into the issue of getting ubuntu to recognize the rtlsdr. Using lsusb doest't produce anything, so the big hurdle will be getting the sdr into ubuntu. I did see an article that WSL supports serial devices, so that could be an option?
I hit the same wall with it - also it is tough working with just a command line with no form of interface.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
There were significant limitations in WSL v1. I suspect better luck would be had with WSL2.

boatbod

I searched around a bit and cannot find anything to suggest that USB Pass-through is supported in WSL. Without that there would be no way to load the RTL driver.

DRL-XM43

This person managed to get their NooElec SDR working in the WSL. WSL and SDR in Windows 10 I'm trying it to see if it works.

WSL2 is probably the key - I notice he had a GUI interface I did not have one with WSL1 - anyway I don't doubt he managed to brow beat the OS into submission.... but after reading several pages I opted to stick with OP25 on my VM for now (it works wonderfully)

However I have been known to get personal with this type of project and I can see myself on a long and bitter winter night torturing myself to make it go :) Just cus someone said it can be done lol.

wgbecks

No need to torture yourself. Download and install Oracle VirtualBox the install your favorite Linux distro as a Virtual Machine. Works fine lasts a long time!

DRL-XM43

No need to torture yourself. Download and install Oracle VirtualBox the install your favorite Linux distro as a Virtual Machine. Works fine lasts a long time!

As my post noted that's what I do.

I opted to stick with OP25 on my VM for now (it works wonderfully)

DRL-XM43

Apparently WSL2 will not be public available til after April.

I am still not sure if it will directly support or have a GUI capability, utilities, sound, usb device recognition even then....

(thinks to self... stock up on duct tape, baling wire and make sure the cuss jar is handy for possible summer project.)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Apparently WSL2 will not be public available til after April.

I am still not sure if it will directly support or have a GUI capability, utilities, sound, usb device recognition even then....

(thinks to self... stock up on duct tape, baling wire and make sure the cuss jar is handy for possible summer project.)

I'm pretty tempted to update to the latest insider build. Easy enough to restore from backup. But I haven't taken the plunge yet.

m

Status
Not open for further replies.