OPD Going encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUrge

I see OPD now has an official feed with a 10 minute delay in the works...I wonder if they are going to encryption like Lincoln?

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
OPD has wanted to go full time encryption since 2015. They wanted 911 to make that decision. It was all about politics

cm205

I wouldn't be surprised if more ORION agencies start going this direction, especially with people posting real-time information on social media.

My understanding is Washington County may soon go full law encryption, possibly when the new Dodge County simulcast cell splits off at the end of the year. Washington has recently full-time encrypted two fire tac channels and the Blair school talkgroups.

cm205

I noticed there is now an official Broadcastify feed for Omaha Fire too. Curious if the fire channels will be going encrypted as well.

NebraskaCoder

Problem with the police feed (I haven't listened to the fire one yet) is all the channels play on top of each other.

lb2234

Premium Subscriber
I have been told that they are going to make the switch this year, not sure when. The Omaha Scanner folks are considering fighting it in court which could delay it.

cm205

I have been told that they are going to make the switch this year, not sure when. The Omaha Scanner folks are considering fighting it in court which could delay it.

Wonder on what grounds. I doubt there’s a legally-defined public right to real-time radio transmissions. The Omaha Scanner social media account has also gotten pretty commercial lately, with sponsorships and whatnot. I’m sure that’s part of it.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The hot topic for encrypted communications right now is in Colorado. They just signed new legislation into law that allows media access to radio communications if agencies are encrypted.
State Law 217 requires media access to police encryption communications | RadioReference.com Forums

Omaha Scanner Facebook group does not exactly fall into the "media" category of the Colorado law, but this does give them some leverage to fight being locked out of radio communications. I can't imagine this group being funded enough to take this very far.

lb2234

Premium Subscriber
Why fire! I can understand police encrypted channels....

Honestly no idea... Lincoln immediately out-of-the-gate said that fire would remain open. We only have a couple of encrypted talkgroups on their side, primarily because the university police has their panties in a bunch. The other ones are LPD/LFR interops.

lb2234

Premium Subscriber
The hot topic for encrypted communications right now is in Colorado. They just signed new legislation into law that allows media access to radio communications if agencies are encrypted.
State Law 217 requires media access to police encryption communications | RadioReference.com Forums

Omaha Scanner Facebook group does not exactly fall into the "media" category of the Colorado law, but this does give them some leverage to fight being locked out of radio communications. I can't imagine this group being funded enough to take this very far.

Oh, they have multi-hundred dollar advertisers. They mentioned the ACLU of Nebraska as the legal entity.

xmo

If the media has real time access to primary law dispatch traffic and the public has delayed access to the same - there's virtually zero chance of making a case based on lack of transparency.

I don't think "I spent all this money on a digital scanner and now it's useless" is enough for even the ACLU.

cm205

The folks who run the Omaha Scanner social media accounts posted an article yesterday saying that OPD confirmed it is assessing encrypting the main dispatch channels: Omaha Police assessing ability to encrypt radio communications (nossmedia.com)

One part of the post I thought was interesting, given the number of unidentified but encrypted talkgroups in the RRDB: "The total number and exact use of encrypted radio channels used by the Omaha Police Department has never been publicly released."

Status
Not open for further replies.