OPD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I was just listening to OPD when a shooting went down in North O.... while monitoring i was hearing a beep that last for perhaps 1 or 2 seconds... anyone have any idea what that sound is?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
What time did this occur? We can go back and listen to the archives to hear the beep you mention.

In Phoenix, several agencies transmit an audible tone about every 10 seconds during an emergency situation. They call it a "hot tone". It is used to alert users to keep the channel clear for only emergency traffic. I'm not sure if Omaha uses this feature, but that is my guess without hearing it.

SCPD

QRT
When OPD or DCSO "clears the air for emergency traffic only" there is a beep that is transmitted about every fifteen or so seconds. This reminds everyone that the air is cleared. Some unit will request to clear the air without the beep, this is usually when they are serving a high risk search warrant.
They air gets cleared by a request of an officer, the dispatcher determines it needs to be and when an officer arrives at a priority 1 call or a crime in progress/just occurred call.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks guys, I was wondering if it was serving a purpose as a hot beep, or to show that the recorder was rolling on this particular conversation/section of tape.

obijohn

Thanks guys, I was wondering if it was serving a purpose as a hot beep, or to show that the recorder was rolling on this particular conversation/section of tape.

All traffic on the Douglas County system is recorded and archived.

SCPD

QRT
This seems to be every 9 sec as that is what I set my delay for the OPD feed and it never goes on to scanning until that beep stops (didn't intend for it to do that, but I love it)

SCPD

QRT
All traffic on the Douglas County system is recorded and archived.

Thats sort of a no-brainer since every agency I know of records radio and telephone traffic. My question though was the purpose of the beep, which had been answered. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.