Opelika Police Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heresmathew

Hey I'm kinda new to this but I've been broadcasting Lee County, AL Public Safety frequencies, including Opelika, PD for a few weeks now and I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Everything seems to be working great EXCEPT there are several instances where I've heard someone say "10-4" following nothing! Its like I'm missing the first half of the communication a lot of times. Please help!

PS- I'm using a Uniden BCD996P2 scanner

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have any sites other than Opelika? That is the only site you need for Lee County. If you have another site programmed and the agency does not affiliate with it, you will miss Lee county traffic while scanning that site. The database shows that the sheriff has partial encryption. It is possible that dispatch is encrypted so that you would hear only the mobiles. You can hold on the sheriff talkgroup to see if that is the case. Dispatch or mobiles may be encrypted only for sensitive information. If scanning multiple agencies, it is normal that you may cut into the middle of activity once the present traffic is completed.

heresmathew

Do you have any sites other than Opelika? That is the only site you need for Lee County. If you have another site programmed and the agency does not affiliate with it, you will miss Lee county traffic while scanning that site. The database shows that the sheriff has partial encryption. It is possible that dispatch is encrypted so that you would hear only the mobiles. You can hold on the sheriff talkgroup to see if that is the case. Dispatch or mobiles may be encrypted only for sensitive information. If scanning multiple agencies, it is normal that you may cut into the middle of activity once the present traffic is completed.

Thanks for your help! I currently have 2 sites. I have the Opelika Police Dept/P25 and Lee County Sheriffs Office/Fire/EMS Conventional. So are you saying that the OPD Dispatch is encrypted or the Sheriff is? And if it's encrypted why do I hear 99% of the traffic but just seem to miss the start of conversations? Can you take a look at my setup and just let me know if you see anything that might need to be fixed? Thank you so much!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

tvengr

Well Known Member
From your programming, I see that everything is the AIRS statewide system and conventional. What I don't know if you are aware of it, but there is also a Lee County P25 system. I don't know how much is on each system. I am going to start a thread to find out and get back to you.

skideric

Not meaning to butt in,but seems like same setup here in Houston County,AL.Currently just monitoring (on SDR that is) the Houston County P25 Simul System.Had PD,FD,SO & some city works.I monitor the AIRS System on scanner.
Just thought might help ya...

heresmathew

From your programming, I see that everything is the AIRS statewide system and conventional. What I don't know if you are aware of it, but there is also a Lee County P25 system. I don't know how much is on each system. I am going to start a thread to find out and get back to you.
Thanks again and I was NOT aware Lee County had P25 but would love to get it programmed to my scanner. Thanks again for all your help. I'm learning it ... a little at a time, lol. :-D
Not meaning to butt in,but seems like same setup here in Houston County,AL.Currently just monitoring (on SDR that is) the Houston County P25 Simul System.Had PD,FD,SO & some city works.I monitor the AIRS System on scanner.
Thanks for your help! I think I'm a little confused about the difference between AIRS, P25 and Conventional.....please help lol

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thank you! My father had friends on Grey Hodges Rd in Dothan. When we visited, there were mounds of fire ants around the house.

skideric

Thanks again and I was NOT aware Lee County had P25 but would love to get it programmed to my scanner. Thanks again for all your help. I'm learning it ... a little at a time, lol. :-D

Thanks for your help! I think I'm a little confused about the difference between AIRS, P25 and Conventional.....please help lol

Well,seems some Sheriff,Fire,School,etc are on Conv Freq.Most using PL Tones of course.Lots more on AIRS.There's NOT a seperate P25 System for your area,as far as i can tell.

Opelika ,Lee County is in the AIRS P25 System listed below.

46B3 (3)011 (B)OpelikaLee854.0375c854.3875a854.4875a854.6375a854.7875854.9375855.0375

They are Talkgroups in AIRS for Sheriff,Fire,PD,Public Works,etc.
Easiest/Best way,at least for me is to Subscribe to RR Database & Use SDRT Import feature.Sure makes it easy.Also works great for Scanner Software.

RadShackFan

I'm in Auburn 2-3 times a week and I monitor OPD/OFD on the AIRS system (from the Farmville Road area). OPD and OFD are full time on that system. Others, Lee Co SO, VFD, EMS, are still operating on their VHF/UHF frequencies listed in RR. I haven't heard any encryption from OPD or PFD.

Auburn PD/FD, on the other hand, are on a different system and is encrypted. I don't even try to listen to them anymore.

When you program the AIRS frequencies in for the Lee County location, and the talk groups, be sure to program the "Wildcard" in so you can hear new groups when they are added.

Happy listening.

heresmathew

I'm in Auburn 2-3 times a week and I monitor OPD/OFD on the AIRS system (from the Farmville Road area). OPD and OFD are full time on that system. Others, Lee Co SO, VFD, EMS, are still operating on their VHF/UHF frequencies listed in RR. I haven't heard any encryption from OPD or PFD.

Auburn PD/FD, on the other hand, are on a different system and is encrypted. I don't even try to listen to them anymore.

When you program the AIRS frequencies in for the Lee County location, and the talk groups, be sure to program the "Wildcard" in so you can hear new groups when they are added.

Happy listening.

Ok, thank you for the info! I really appreciate it. Could you please tell me more about this "wildcard" channel and how to add it please? I did a google search but not much of it made a lot of sense to me. :-\ Thanks again.

RadShackFan

Wildcard is nothing more than the scanner being told to receive any talk group even though it wasn't programmed in. It's how we locate talk groups that have not been listed in RR as well as new talk groups. You're using Freescan and it should be available in that program. I don't use Freescan so someone who does will have to help you with that. I would start with any help menu in the program probably in "how to program P25 talk groups" or something similar to those words.

Check the instructions about "ID search" function. I think that makes the scanner monitor the talk groups you entered plus new ones you didn't. (I use Whistler EZScan and they call it "Wildcard.) Read the thread below. The poster wants his scanner to STOP monitoring unlisted talk groups and is told how to STOP it. You should be able to start it by reversing the advice he's given.

Might be a setting on the scanner menu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.