Open bands in panhandle fl from hurricane Laura?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I’m in Panama City and picking up open bands from Ms to Al. Wonder cause the hurricane pushing radio waves this way?

nd5y

I use that site for years. I didn't see much going on the site.
It's not always accurate.
It only shows what APRS gateways are receiving.
There aren't APRS stations everywhere and they can't receive 100% of all packets from distant stations for a lot of reasons.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I use that site for years. I didn't see much going on the site.

I'd like to see somebody create a similar type of site that caters specifically to scanner listeners, who may be submitting tropo DX manually from VHF / UHF / 700 / 800. These APRS maps depend upon APRS digipeaters, and obviously those same maps are only taking into account what is being heard on 144.39. If we had someplace where sensible people who can identify tropo events can submit what they are hearing (and from what location they heard it from), especially on higher bands, it could be somewhat useful to the hobby. Of course, the whole idea for using APRS for this is because the mapping can be totally automated. But I've always thought that it would be nice for scanner listeners (who like to DX) to be able to submit confirmed tropo DX on scanner bands that they are hearing, which in turn might encourage others to actually pull out their Pro96Com / Unitrunker / DSDPlus and start sniffing for DX if they happen to see a duct over their area.

I've copied 800 mhz tropo DX from 300+ miles away during tropo events, and RR users were none the wiser that it was evening happening. And just having a forum where one announces tropo doesn't help, since tropo is often gone by the time anybody would read a post.

Mike

mp3sgt

Premium Subscriber
Here in North Okaloosa County. I have Hancock County, MS VHF loud and clear between 6 and 9am. Keep in mind, this is not activating the Okaloosa north VHF, it is being received on my back yard, table level 5/8 wave mobile mount antenna on a regular VHF mobile with a desktop power supply on our Laurel Hill transmit frequency. Quite interesting to hear 2 way with paging for Diamondhead and surrounding areas!

Status
Not open for further replies.