Open Beta for Digital Filter Improvements 1.11.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We noted several reports of inconsistent receive sensitivity on P25 after the latest updates, and we've been looking at how changes to the digital filter can improve this performance across all flavors of digital (P25, DMR, ProVoice). If you'd like to look at the latest version and provide some feedback:

1) Download and unzip http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/PartnerWeb/BCD436HPBeta/BCDx36HP_V1_11_20.zip
2) Connect your scanner to your PC and select Mass Storage mode.
3) Copy the appropriate firmware payload file into the "firmware" folder on your scanner.
4) Disconnect the USB cable. The firmware update should be applied.

Advise your before / after comments in this thread.

For DMR simplex, use Manual 8, FM.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Using manual 8/FM still no hits on Simplex DMR. I had several hits on the TRX-1/TRX-2 and nothing on the 436. I have an Amazon Distribution Center across the street from me running Simplex which is pretty busy.

Addition: I never noticed much trouble with P25 receive, however, the update has not degraded my P25 reception on the 436. I'm listening to P25 Phase 1 and P25 Phase 2 systems at the moment. Both sound great.

Last edited:

ChrisABQ

I'm running a 436 with the ProVoice upgrade monitoring the mixed mode analog/digital EDACS ProVoice system in Albuquerque, NM. The sound quality on digital is good, analog however, is very low volume in comparison.

I do wish you would improve the analog quality as well. If I enable volume offset to make up for this, digital is blaringly loud.

I also want to mention, AGC does not correct any issues with the sound.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I did the upgrade on my 436HP with both Pro Voice and DMR upgrades. So far the MotoTrbo network I listen to the most sounds much better. Audio seems to be on a par with the SDR-DSD+ set up that I use. Seems a bit more clear on P25 conventional as well. I haven't heard enough on the P25 trunk that is in range to determine if that's better.

I also did the upgrade on my 536HP that doesn't have DMR or Pro Voice. P25 conventional sounds better there too.

The real test will be on the 536HP in my truck. That has DMR and since I do a lot of driving around, I should get a good sense on how well the MotoTrbo systems sound.

My town DPW is on Simplex DMR, but they don't talk all that much, so it might take a while to hear enough to make a determination.

Early results are promising.

racingfan360

Thanks for this latest firmware UpMan.

After some basic testing of a 436 on DMR Simplex, using the recommended Manual/8/FM settings, I'd observe:
1. A massive improvement in the ability to detect, correctly decode and demodulate intelligible speech on DMR Simplex on a range of UHF frequencies
2. Little to no improvement (and quite possibly even a degradation of decoding) for DMR Simplex on VHF frequencies

Using other manual settings makes little to no difference as far as I can tell.

I cannot test P25 or Provoice for comparison.

If it helps, I am running with the 'copper foil on the inside of the battery cover modification', which at least until now, has made no observable difference to the decode performance on UHF. I would need more extensive testing to see if that make any difference vs the results posted by sibbley.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
If it helps, I am running with the 'copper foil on the inside of the battery cover modification', which at least until now, has made no observable difference to the decode performance on UHF. I would need more extensive testing to see if that make any difference vs the results posted by sibbley.

I am also using the aluminum/copper foil mod.

Upman, would anything done in this firmware update improve UHF reception overall? This afternoon my reception on UHF systems farther away seems to be better. Mostly 450-470MHz range. I've done nothing else different.

JamesO

Although not a primary point of this thread, I have never found that either the Digital or Analog AGC had any effect what so ever on my 436/536. it would also be very helpful if there was some form of White Paper or FAQ for the AGC and how it should be enabled and exactly what the settings impact. Any prior comments have gone unanswered.

I will try to get my 546HP updated and attempt to focus more on DMR in my area, I am in the process of sorting out a new antenna with a LNA at the base along with a FM Broadcast Notch filter at the input to the amplifier. My 9 pole FM Notch filter arrived yesterday and I am excited after I swept the filter on the Spectrum Analyzer and expect some decent rejection and less higher frequency ripple/loss than prior version filters I have tried.

gonefishn1

Uploaded my 536 with this new firmware (no DMR or Provoice options). On P25 phase 1, Yes it is an improvement. The audio is cleaner. The audio quality and clarity is much better. I have more bars on signal strength. I am very happy, happy, happy with this firmware.
Great job UNIDEN !!
Thank you UPMAN !!!

bearcat

I'm running a 436 with the ProVoice upgrade monitoring the mixed mode analog/digital EDACS ProVoice system in Albuquerque, NM. The sound quality on digital is good, analog however, is very low volume in comparison.

I do wish you would improve the analog quality as well. If I enable volume offset to make up for this, digital is blaringly loud.

You must be monitoring a Multi Mode system (analog and digital) ? As the Volume Offset is per channel. If that is the case the low audio on analog could be directly related to the system you are monitoring and not the radio. Just a guess.

bearcat

1.11.20 Update for 436

I could not honestly say that prior to this FW that my DMR was bad, but the audio quality is better with this release. Much cleaner. I have never had any complaints about the quality of the analog audio, but I can tell you that a very weak UHF RF Link now has much less noise on the signal (not more signal strength). Which is a plus.

I will not comment on P25 as the system nearest to me is very hard to hear and I have very few choices on P25.

The BIG ONE. It is now decoding my DMR HT on SIMPLEX 100% of the time. Prior 5% would have been about the best and that was a stretch.

I seem to be having better luck with Manual 6 vs Manual 8, however that is with just one radio to test. I will follow it closer in the real world in the days to come.

Last edited:

ChrisABQ

Checked this out on EDACS ProVoice, may be a minor increase in sensitivity, but not much. P25 P1 is about the same 10 miles away at the AFB, no difference detected.

TeK-NO

Premium Subscriber
BCDx36HP Audio

I notice on the analog side that the audio is quite low compared with the digital. Any suggestions I have the Firmware 1-11-17 with the old firmware the audio was the same.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Wohooooo. My 536 is hearing Simplex. I have it set at Manual 9. Sounds great too.

So I can report, 536 with beta firmware 1.11.20 running fantastic. P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2, DMR including Simplex, and Analog Conventional, LTR, and Edacs all sound great. As others have mentioned, analog is a bit low on volume.

436, same as above except I still can't hear Simplex. If I key a DMR radio in Simplex mode, it does hear it and holds it till the key is released. But, anything farther away than my own radio, I don't hear. The Simplex user I am working on is no more than 1/2 mile at the farthest point from my antenna. I'm using a Laird Tri Band mag mounted to an air conditioner out side my building. Both 436 and 536 are running on the same antenna with an MCA204M 4 port multicoupler.

I do think something happened with this firmware that has caused a slight increase in UHF reception. Both 436 and 536 seem to be affected. Some of the users I've been trying to listen to are coming in better, only change would be the firmware update.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I plan on upgrading when I get home tonight. I am hoping it will help on decoding with P25 MARCS tower sites. I just wish the 436/536 would decode like Unitrunker with a $25 dongle does, than I would be happy.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Denver today since upgrading the Audio is much much cleaner on P-25 havent heard much DMR yet but i am impressed

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Noticeable improvement in audio quality P25 , DMR in just a limited test. Although I haven't noticed any extra signal bars like some, on the p25 simulcast system that typically is touchy 1-2 bars audio was clear.

SCPD

QRT
Much better digital decode however the vhf hi band still seems weak with analog and p25 signals...
decode is somewhat better but still acts like vhf hi is antenuated even with antenuator off... working towards correct direction with the 436hp. However I believe vhf hi band reception could be boosted about 5 db more... Just an honest opinion

SCPD

QRT
Wohooooo. My 536 is hearing Simplex. I have it set at Manual 9. Sounds great too.

So I can report, 536 with beta firmware 1.11.20 running fantastic. P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2, DMR including Simplex, and Analog Conventional, LTR, and Edacs all sound great. As others have mentioned, analog is a bit low on volume.

436, same as above except I still can't hear Simplex. If I key a DMR radio in Simplex mode, it does hear it and holds it till the key is released. But, anything farther away than my own radio, I don't hear. The Simplex user I am working on is no more than 1/2 mile at the farthest point from my antenna. I'm using a Laird Tri Band mag mounted to an air conditioner out side my building. Both 436 and 536 are running on the same antenna with an MCA204M 4 port multicoupler.

I do think something happened with this firmware that has caused a slight increase in UHF reception. Both 436 and 536 seem to be affected. Some of the users I've been trying to listen to are coming in better, only change would be the firmware update.

Same with the bcd436hp here
issue 1 vhf hi -low signal with att off
issue 2 shows dmr as
net 0 site 0
tg 0 u0
CC 1 and slot 1 but seems like just not enough signal coming in to fully decode..
bcd436hp is 6800**** serial model and has low reception since 1.02.07

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
got to Monitor a UHF DMR-MARC repeater here in Denver, excellent Audio nice and clear

Jeff19

Premium Subscriber
I listen exclusively to a P25 system, that includes phase 1 and phase 2 and historically presents simulcast problems. Noticeably less "jumping" of audio on both phases. A little better clarity on p2, p1 clarity is comparable to previous firmwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.