Open carriers on Caltrans Kingvale Ch. 19? (856.9875 PL 146.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6079smithw

Greetings from Reno...
A few weeks back, I fired up my TK-940 Kenwood that I mount in my truck to monitor CalTrans Dist. 3 ops over Donner Summit during the winter.

Been receiving a barrage of round-the-clock open carriers on Ch. 19 ( Peavine) repeater site since then. They're spaced between 5-20 seconds apart and can run anywhere from 10 to 45 seconds in length.

Just curious if anyone else in the area has heard this and/or could offer any input. The channel is an absolute lifesaver for OTR Reno-Sacramento when the snow flies!

Frank in Reno

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I've heard the same in Reno. It sounds like the repeater is spastic. I locked
the channel out about a week ago.

6079smithw

I've heard the same in Reno. It sounds like the repeater is spastic. I locked
the channel out about a week ago.
Sky began to fall over Donner about an hour ago. Although the carrier is still there, traffic from Kingvale is perfectly audible, no heterodyne squeal and no mention of interference from any of the CalTrans units on 19. Go figger...

markclark

Premium Subscriber
The field units probably don't notice the dead carrier because of the background noise in vehicles and other noise on the job.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Yes; the carriers are back, but not nearly as annoying as before. Let us know what you can copy. I did notice the other night the Peavine Peak repeater wasn't repeating all mobile transmissions as it normally does. Thanks.

6079smithw

Still there as of 2100 11/28, but intervals between them have increased enormously. Plus, very little CalTrans traffic on 19.
Have to go to Truckee tomorrow, I'll toss the MaxTrack in the mobile and see what comes up.
The trip may have to wait a while, traffic is ridiculous due to WX. Meanwhile I'm going to search 700 mHz ...

Attachments

• 113020190950.jpg
    113020190950.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 17

6079smithw

After a day (Thursday 11/05) of sporadic carriers and a female voice say ing "Testing 1-2-3" numerous times, it appears the repeater has been tended to. Monitored it pretty much all day today; no action until 2113 hrs this evening when Kingvale dispatch announced chain controls.
Full quieting and clarity. WX is supposed to deteriorate over the weekend so I'll be listening and report activity here.
Stay tuned...

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Good; the noise went on for many months. That indicates those repeaters are mostly used in winter since the problem was long unnoticed.

6079smithw

Looks like Ch. 19 may be back up to speed. At 1113 hrs this morning I copied a radio tech requesting a signal report from Kingvale via the Ski Tow (Truckee) site. It appears the problem was in the link between sites. Kingvale acknowledged the tech who stated 'everything should be working again now' (full quieting here in Reno) Shortly thereafter the usual reports of chain runners and other seasonal luminaries resumed...

WX over Donner is supposed to sour this evening, airwaves should be busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.