Open Mic - 31.05 FM "Blue 1 and Tower"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Sounds like mobile tank operations, open mic for the past hour or so on 31.05 FM

I'm copying this now at 10:45AM MST from Northwest Montana...

BLUE KC-10 any tanker en route from the UK (KC-135R)

BLUE F-15C/D 19th FS Elmendorf AFB AK

Military callsign list - Página 2

From the "Call signs" I am aware of, the list looks accurate.

FF - Medic !!!

SCPD

QRT
I would not expect F-15s or KC-10s to be on VHF LO FM. But who knows..I think the tanks referenced are the ground vehicle thingys with turrets and big guns. :)

ff-medic

Banned
I would not expect F-15s or KC-10s to be on VHF LO FM. But who knows..I think the tanks referenced are the ground vehicle thingys with turrets and big guns. :)

It is VHF - Low. Earlier on in the Military.....most man pack radios were VHF low. For a ground team to communicate with Dustoff ( Medical Evac choppers ) - Air support / Tactical Air support - Air Force or Navy Combat Control aircraft.....the receiving aircraft had to have the ability to receive low band signals......from
PRC-77's. Basic Information - weather conditions on the ground - clearance ( trees & obstacles = glide ratio for approach and take off ) - Military eight digit grid coordinates.......WERE all at one time on low band comms, and in effect...just recently ( in effect ) multi-band radios came about - Such as for Air Force Combat Air Controllers. There are many-many benefits to Low band. VHF High is OK, But for the most portion of the U.S - UHF is best.

VHF-Low ( basic ) = 30- 50 MHz

VHF - High ( basically ) = 144-174 Mhz

UHF ( basically ) = 400-512 MHZ ----- then after that you get into the UHF "T" band.......and ect - ect - ect.

FF - Medic !!!

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
The choppers here at bragg have had new radios put in them to cover vhf hi/lo/hf and satcomm.all this off one radio instead of several.just saying

SDavis90

Low band was pretty common when I was at Bragg in early 90s. We used SINCGARS radios. The one I guess the military still uses. A lot of times on news and documentary programs its the radio on the center console on the HMMVs. Back in my day, range control, drop zone safety, etc was run in the clear in single channel mode. I won't divulge any deeper than that. When I got bored out in the field, I would tune in NCHP E-town dispatch and listen to them.

reconrider8

what kinda antenna would they run for a multiband radio like those? would have to be something to cover many bands and such

ff-medic

Banned
Low band was pretty common when I was at Bragg in early 90s. We used SINCGARS radios. The one I guess the military still uses. A lot of times on news and documentary programs its the radio on the center console on the HMMVs. Back in my day, range control, drop zone safety, etc was run in the clear in single channel mode. I won't divulge any deeper than that. When I got bored out in the field, I would tune in NCHP E-town dispatch and listen to them.

I helped Field the Singars when it first came out. Korea - Second Infantry Div - 1989, 1990.

FF-Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.