• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Open mic CB Ch 19 midtown Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VGSMC_8520

Anyone else hear a key'd up mic on CB Ch 19 (27.18500 MHz) in the area of Central & Indian School? Every time I'm in the Midtown area, I can hear a continuous transmission of what I presume to be somebody's base station; there is usually a TV and/or radio banter that is audible in the background, I haven't heard anything else. The signal has been at times strong enough to light up the "close call" feature on the scanner in my truck. Been noticing this for a few weeks now, kinda weird.

pyro424

It could be a mistake and the guy has an open mic unknowingly. However I doubt it because if it has been going on for weeks as you describe it is highly unlikely the operator does not know he has an open mic by now. It could be just intentional. I have heard this kind of thing in the past. I have known guys that have left the mic keyed up for days on end just to be bothersome. One guy out my way left his radio keyed up so long that the finals burned out and his radio was toast. However he did not seem to care as he intentionally just used some cheap AM radio that I imagine could be bought with pocket change. As we know often some of the more "malicious" or "lid" type operators seem to gravitate towards channel 19. You should try and find where it is coming from. Maybe remove the coax from the back of your radio when you are close and that way you can zero in a bit closer. Or turn the RF gain all the way down if you have RF gain on your radio. Would just be interesting for you im sure to see where it is coming from. Once you get close start looking for an antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

VGSMC_8520

I would give the benefit of the doubt too, I haven't heard any of the usual inane CB junk like music or long religious rants, it's mostly just radio banter that sounded like Phoenix FD in the background. I'm picturing a mic stuck in a chair cushion or in between some equipment on a desk and hasn't been moved in a while. Maybe I'll do a little investigation this week. The Uniden close call features is quite neat and I might have a drive around, have a listen, and keep an eye out for antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.