Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8JGU

How is Radio Reference retransmitting Oakland County Michigan Sherriff using open sky?
If everybody in Michigan is going Open Sky how do we monitor Police any more?
Digital Scanners have no use with Open Sky?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Oakland County is going Open Sky. NOT Michigan. Michigan uses the MPSCS P-25 as do many counties and local agencies. Oakland county so far is the only county out of 83 that chose Open Sky. There are several counties that use MA COM Harriss EDACS but NOT Open Sky.

There is no scanner for monitoring Open Sky at this time and very well may never be. It all depends on licensing and popularity.

How is Radio Reference retransmitting Oakland County Michigan Sherriff using open sky?
If everybody in Michigan is going Open Sky how do we monitor Police any more?
Digital Scanners have no use with Open Sky?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
So how is Radio Reference broadcasting Oakland County Sherriffs?

My guess is that Oakland County has not completely switched over to the Open Sky system as of yet. Appears the live feed is still running off of the old Motorola Type II system.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that Oakland County has not completely switched over to the Open Sky system as of yet. Appears the live feed is still running off of the old Motorola Type II system.

I think that is correct. Oakland Sheriff North Patrol (Clarkston, Springfield, etc) is still broadcasting on the old system. Some others might be simulcasting using a patch between the systems.

:(

BT202

Premium Subscriber
That's right. It ALL depends upon whom you ask.....

Depending on who you ask, not very well. ;-)

OpenSky - The RadioReference Wiki

Those who hate Open Sky because it has curtailed their scanning hobby will say it is a terrible radio system, has no value whatsoever, and will probably get someone killed. Further, it will bring about the end of the world in 2012 (if not sooner), or at least it will destroy the social fabric of our society. Not by coincidence, these people do not use Open Sky everyday in the course of their employment, but are instead, hobbyists who hear bits and pieces from different sources, then draw their own conclusion. Often, these different 'sources' are other disgruntled radio hobbyists with the same axe to grind. In the song 'The Boxer' by Simon and Garfunkel, one line declares, "still, all a man hears is what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.' For some reason, this line rings very true in these forums whenever Open Sky comes up.

Those who do use Open Sky in the course of their employment and complain about it are, by and large, the same people who were complaining about the OLD radio system they were using. They're very often the same people who complain about their department's administration, the equipment they have to work with, how much they get paid, how their union recently screwed them on their last grievance (and there have been many), etc. Sorry, but there are people like this in every profession and minimum wage job.

The Open Sky system in Oakland County has hit some bumps in the last several years of its development. So what? So has every other form of technology in law enforcement and, I'd presume, in the fire service. Does anyone remember how great the MDC's worked???? The MDT's aren't all that great either, sometimes. Connectivity with LEIN has been less than stellar. Then there's Net RMS. Talk about problems???? Of course, no one on these forums complains about these issues that law enforcement officers have to deal with everyday. And why? I suppose it all depends upon who's ox is being gored.

Guys, I hate to put it this way, but please just learn to deal with it. Now repeat after me:

"Lord, give me the strength to change the things that I can change, to be able to accept those things that I cannot, and the wisdom to distinguish the difference."

Peace.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Open $ky - Open Pit

:mad:

I should have the power to change the way government wastes the tax dollar on an expensive unreliable system that has taken several years beyond its announced implementation timing. But nobody wants to admit the system was a huge mistake. There is no doubt that Open $ky will work some day but the resources expended by Oakland County is sinful simply because they don't want to deal with the state system. And by the way, I believe the national protocol is APCO 25 which provides a common cost effective and reliable communication system. Why is it that the great majority of systems in this country are moving to APCO 25 instead of Open $ky. Detroit and all surrounding counties haved quickly moved to MPSCS while Oakland County still experiments . . . with our money!

Did you notice that Oakland County just raised the telephone surcharge which will continue to pour money into Open $ky? It should be called Open Pit!

bigbluemsp

:mad:

I should have the power to change the way government wastes the tax dollar on an expensive unreliable system that has taken several years beyond its announced implementation timing. But nobody wants to admit the system was a huge mistake. There is no doubt that Open $ky will work some day but the resources expended by Oakland County is sinful simply because they don't want to deal with the state system. And by the way, I believe the national protocol is APCO 25 which provides a common cost effective and reliable communication system. Why is it that the great majority of systems in this country are moving to APCO 25 instead of Open $ky. Detroit and all surrounding counties haved quickly moved to MPSCS while Oakland County still experiments . . . with our money!

Did you notice that Oakland County just raised the telephone surcharge which will continue to pour money into Open $ky? It should be called Open Pit!

Alot of us on here call it "The SKY is Falling". 10 years and still barely on it's own feet.

milaw

Premium Subscriber
....Does anyone remember how great the MDC's worked???? The MDT's aren't all that great either, sometimes. Connectivity with LEIN has been less than stellar. Then there's Net RMS. Talk about problems???? Of course, no one on these forums complains about these issues that law enforcement officers have to deal with everyday. And why?.....

I'll complain about NetRMS! Nothing like having a .1 just disappear on a long complicated domestic report then weeks later on a repeat offender OWI - all narratives are done in word now. Activepaper is the WORST. Premier MDC blows chunks and I hear that CLEMIS is writing their own CAD/MDC program , I can't wait. I love how well mobile dashboard works, it seems that the only problems that I ever have with it are caused by Premier MDC and NetRMS. It's great driving around hearing the 3G watcher connect/disconnect tone ringing all night too because the MDC won't stay connected. Also, the new MDC's (the ones with the dial at the bottome) can't be muted!

I don't have to deal with OpenSky but I wonder how it will work for the Deps/Ofcs that have to use it vs MPSCS.

RayAir

Those who hate Open Sky because it has curtailed their scanning hobby will say it is a terrible radio system, has no value whatsoever, and will probably get someone killed. Further, it will bring about the end of the world in 2012 (if not sooner), or at least it will destroy the social fabric of our society. Not by coincidence, these people do not use Open Sky everyday in the course of their employment, but are instead, hobbyists who hear bits and pieces from different sources, then draw their own conclusion. Often, these different 'sources' are other disgruntled radio hobbyists with the same axe to grind. In the song 'The Boxer' by Simon and Garfunkel, one line declares, "still, all a man hears is what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.' For some reason, this line rings very true in these forums whenever Open Sky comes up.

Those who do use Open Sky in the course of their employment and complain about it are, by and large, the same people who were complaining about the OLD radio system they were using. They're very often the same people who complain about their department's administration, the equipment they have to work with, how much they get paid, how their union recently screwed them on their last grievance (and there have been many), etc. Sorry, but there are people like this in every profession and minimum wage job.

The Open Sky system in Oakland County has hit some bumps in the last several years of its development. So what? So has every other form of technology in law enforcement and, I'd presume, in the fire service. Does anyone remember how great the MDC's worked???? The MDT's aren't all that great either, sometimes. Connectivity with LEIN has been less than stellar. Then there's Net RMS. Talk about problems???? Of course, no one on these forums complains about these issues that law enforcement officers have to deal with everyday. And why? I suppose it all depends upon who's ox is being gored.

Guys, I hate to put it this way, but please just learn to deal with it. Now repeat after me:

"Lord, give me the strength to change the things that I can change, to be able to accept those things that I cannot, and the wisdom to distinguish the difference."

Peace.

You must be on the Oakland County radio oversight committee. :lol:

It's been over 8 years since they started building this POS and it is just 40% into roll-out and still has issues. Yeah, the scanner listeners aren't happy, but go ask the users of the system. Go ask the Waterford cops how much they like it. They'll tell you it sucks.

6564rwo

Open Sky? FINALLY REALITY?

It seems Novi PD AND FD have made the switch. ANYONE HAVE ANY UPDATES?

SCPD

QRT
Link maintenance

The link will be down for connector work tomorrow.
Should be back up by the end of the day. Same ant, slightly higher also.

RayAir

It seems Novi PD AND FD have made the switch. ANYONE HAVE ANY UPDATES?

? I heard Novi today doing the parade detail and it wasn't patch audio.
There's also been analog activity on 154.740 (Hazel park, Ferndale PD)
Commerce FD and Waterford FD both have O/S radios, but both are patching to VHF.
O/S coverage problems continue in Northern Oakland County. Due to this fact OCSD North Patrol is still patching.
That's the only info I got.

Jimmy252

Sounds like Farmington Hills Police are starting to patch on their dispatch, 424.2500. Not all units have it, but people will come over dispatch doing radio tests and it's patched.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
? I heard Novi today doing the parade detail and it wasn't patch audio.
There's also been analog activity on 154.740 (Hazel park, Ferndale PD)
Commerce FD and Waterford FD both have O/S radios, but both are patching to VHF.
O/S coverage problems continue in Northern Oakland County. Due to this fact OCSD North Patrol is still patching.
That's the only info I got.

Add even more towers for Open Sky. soon Oakland County will have a tower for every radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.