"open the port"

Status
Not open for further replies.

philflyer

What does open the port mean? I've heard this saying a lot when listening to my local P.D. Usually the officers in the field radio dispatch saying "open the port".

jerk

What does open the port mean? I've heard this saying a lot when listening to my local P.D. Usually the officers in the field radio dispatch saying "open the port".
means open the Sally port, from naval history.
It's the door of the jail where they take in the arrestees.
Google it for more.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
i've heard of that from a county jail. no one can open the doors from that locations, they all have to be remotely operated and the guards usually use their portable radio to as dispatch to open it for them

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
yes, those explanations are 100% accurate. Sallyports are great because the cop drives in with the badguy. The port doors are closed, so that if the cop opens the door, and badguy goes beserk, he really can't run anywhere. Totally trapped! Also think about how tough it would be for a cop to get an unruly suspect into the station if it was wet or icy out. major problem. Access control is a very big part of any modern police station. This is just one part of the whole access system.

Status
Not open for further replies.