Opened up my SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do the test with the scanner antenna, watt meter, and dummy load. See how big your safe zone is.

WoodburyMan

Our SDS's are the same.. I sent mine is way back for the volume knob as well, and just sent it in the other week for RSSI and signal issues as well where it'd always read -116db as well. Strange!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Note to self: Don't transmit on VHF/UHF/HF at 50 to 100 Watts while listening to my scanner. Oh that's right not really appropriate to listen to scanner while having a QSO. LOL

garys

Premium Subscriber
I started reading this thread without a tremendous amount of interest, but now I am interested. I'm getting consistent RSSI readings of greater than -100db. I know that there are a lot of variables, but I'm using a discone type antenna so maybe should get better signal than I am.

The closest NOAA station is about 5 air miles from my house and I'm getting -67db.

Again, I know that there are a lot of variables, but is it likely that there is an issue with my new SDS100?

Azgunguy

I started reading this thread without a tremendous amount of interest, but now I am interested. I'm getting consistent RSSI readings of greater than -100db. I know that there are a lot of variables, but I'm using a discone type antenna so maybe should get better signal than I am.

The closest NOAA station is about 5 air miles from my house and I'm getting -67db.

Again, I know that there are a lot of variables, but is it likely that there is an issue with my new SDS100?
What are your readings with a rubber duck antenna?

Chronic

could it possibly be a static electricity spark to the antenna or scanner causing issues ? Does Not necessarily have to be RF that blows the parts

garys

Premium Subscriber
On a quick test, they are better with the outside antenna than with the RS800 antenna. That's on the state police trunk site. Not a lot better as far as RSSI is concerned, but the audio is clearer.

I'll do some more testing over the next couple days. I replaced the cable that goes to the SDS100 because I think there might be a problem with the F connector (the way I installed it).

What are your readings with a rubber duck antenna?

Azgunguy

On a quick test, they are better with the outside antenna than with the RS800 antenna. That's on the state police trunk site. Not a lot better as far as RSSI is concerned, but the audio is clearer.

I'll do some more testing over the next couple days. I replaced the cable that goes to the SDS100 because I think there might be a problem with the F connector (the way I installed it).
Your rssi should be fairly low. Definitely under 100 and probably under 80 as well. You may have the same problem I had.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So I recently sent in my SDS100 for a volume knob repair. It came back receiving absolute garbage for transmissions.

What happend to the gob of white goop they put in there to help make it water proof? Lools like they cleaned it all out and didn't put any back?

garys

Premium Subscriber
What makes me think it might be my antenna system is that the 536HP next to the SDS100 and on the same antenna receives more or less the same. As does the SDR set up I'm also running. All of that is running off or a Electroline four port splitter/amplifier. The antenna is new as of the fall. As is the cable, but that might be the weak link. All I had available at the time was RG 59. Since then I bought double shielded RG6 cable. Which will go up in the spring when the weather breaks.

That will be well within the warranty period, plus I'll be able to talk the SDS100 mobile and try from different locations with different antennas.

By spring I'll have a much better idea of what's going on.

Your rssi should be fairly low. Definitely under 100 and probably under 80 as well. You may have the same problem I had.

Azgunguy

What makes me think it might be my antenna system is that the 536HP next to the SDS100 and on the same antenna receives more or less the same. As does the SDR set up I'm also running. All of that is running off or a Electroline four port splitter/amplifier. The antenna is new as of the fall. As is the cable, but that might be the weak link. All I had available at the time was RG 59. Since then I bought double shielded RG6 cable. Which will go up in the spring when the weather breaks.

That will be well within the warranty period, plus I'll be able to talk the SDS100 mobile and try from different locations with different antennas.

By spring I'll have a much better idea of what's going on.
My 536HP had 500% better reception than my SDS100. It was absurd.

garys

Premium Subscriber
No, they're both pretty close to equal. I'm relieved that it might not be the scanner, but then again I'll have to put up with the situation until spring.

My 536HP had 500% better reception than my SDS100. It was absurd.

sfb88

I am curious as to whether those people who might bring a portable scanner with them to spectate at incidents would be likely to have their scanners damaged if the responders key up their transceivers, especially those in vehicles. I suppose portables would be limited to around 7 watts but I don't know about mobiles.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've hit my 436 and SDS100 with 250mW of RF at the antenna connector without damaging them, so it would be nearly impossible to damage them with a 5W handheld. A 100W mobile is a different story altogether.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the RSSI meter in my SDS200 as I was driving around today. I found that the readings were not too far off from the SDS100 at my house. My location has some elevation, but for some reason has always been a tougher place to receive than it should be.

I think that the relatively worse reception, even with an outside antenna are more due to the antenna than the radio. In the spring the RG 6 gets attached to the antenna to replace the RG59. I should have done it right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.