OpenSky Scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
What it all boils down to is that your all forgetting that the system was originally designed for data. Then some brain fart at MA-COM came up with the hair brained idea that it could be used for voice as well. We all know the great sales job done on the state of PA and just how well the system has worked for the state police there.

I think Harris would be glad when all the Open Sky systems go by the way side and get turned into a P25 operation.

They probably decided that since digital voice really is just another type of digital data, it's OK to run voice over it. Plenty of data solutions are fine for transactional or buffered type data streams and abysmal for anything realtime.

This happens with wifi deployments where the "site survey" consists of walking around with a laptop and refreshing a webpage or tracking signal strength with little concern for roaming and proper AP handoff. You end up with something fantastic for data, but makes for bad voice and video calls.

Same with people who don't understand that just because they can browse youtube or surf web pages without a noticeable problem on 3g or 4g, that it still doesn't mean facetime, skype, etc. are guaranteed to work without hiccups or drops.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
True, but since they're breaking it into 4 slots, that speed edge is gone unless they're actually using all 4 slots for the same data stream (which would seem to defeat the purpose of mandating 6.25k equivalency in the 700 mhz band and 12.5k in the others). I wonder if they would be allowed to use more than one slot as long as those slots weren't being requested by any other voice/data stream.

OpenSky can use the full 25 kHz for data. The 4-Slot TDMA is for voice.

800 MHz still permits 25 kHz bandwidth, it was not narrowbanded. In fact, most existing 800 MHz Smartnet/SmartZone systems are 25 kHz, not 12.5 kHz. Same with EDACS 9600 systems.

A 700 MHz OpenSky system with data could still get away with using the full 25 kHz channel bandwidth because technically it's using all 4 slots in aggregate. A deadline for 6.25 kHz efficiency compliance in the 700 spectrum has not been formalized, so that doesn't apply yet.

com501

It still sss-s-ss-sucks because the bb-bb-ba-accckk-k bb--one isn't glurble bleep optimized for voice. They should have left it for data.:(

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
This should all be interesting if talkgroups that are EDACS Provoice/Standard will follow through with the Opensky system voice or possibly just decide to drop it and go with Project 25 Phase I or II

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
Washoe County seems dumb enough to try that. I do wonder if the state is that gullible.

The next question would be, if the state decides that we should be like Pennsylvania, will NV Energy go along with that, or will they continue with the EDACS system?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Intimidator21801 said:
BCD536HP and BCD436HP Radios

When these come out for sale. Will they be able to pick up LVMPD's chatter? I am wondering

*face palm* nope. Now once LVMPD build out their phase 2 system it may be able to... IF they do not encrypt.

Last edited:

RayAir

Oakland County OpenSky works fine now.

I won't argue that it was way over budget but the signal is very good ( even for portables) and the audio quality has improved greatly with system updates.

It's unfortunate for scanner listeners but the users ( especially LE) like it for its privacy.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
very interesting talk about the tech side of open sky and being able to decode it..........

one big problem you are all forgetting, the Electronic Privacy Act of 19whatever, makes it illegal to decode any message not intended for you.

this is federal law, so short answer is there will not and can not be a scanner that will decode any encripted transmission on the market.

can you build one? sure. just cant sell or produce it for others to use.

lep

very interesting talk about the tech side of open sky and being able to decode it..........

can you build one? sure. just cant sell or produce it for others to use.

IMHOP it is unlikely that you can "build one." Oh, and if you could, that would still be illegal no matter whether you sold it or not.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
IMHOP it is unlikely that you can "build one." Oh, and if you could, that would still be illegal no matter whether you sold it or not.

lol you got my point. it would be illegal.
wont say someone couldnt build one. if he/she had enough time and know how. unlikely , yes.

but my point was very good talk about how the system works. but it is still illegal to listen in.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Anything that is AES or DES encryption would be near to impossible to decrypt. Especially AES encryption. Even if you could decrypt or simply have the encryption codes for certain frequencies. Chances are they would change sooner or later making it once again impossible to decrypt.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Just like EDACS provoice if you simply want to listen in on non-encrypted, but digital talk groups you simply purchase a portable two way that is formatted to it so you can eavesdrop in. Same would go for Opensky 1 and 2 system voices.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just like EDACS provoice if you simply want to listen in on non-encrypted, but digital talk groups you simply purchase a portable two way that is formatted to it so you can eavesdrop in. Same would go for Opensky 1 and 2 system voices.
Opensky does not work lile that. The radio MUST be provisioned on the system to be able to receive audio on opensky system...

Emmut?...

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
It's Harris. Harris radios have formats for OPENSKY. At least The Unity models do. Obtaining harris radios isn't hard at all if you know someone and using ProGrammer software from Harris is easy but expensive to obtain

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It's Harris. Harris radios have formats for OPENSKY. At least The Unity models do. Obtaining harris radios isn't hard at all if you know someone and using ProGrammer software from Harris is easy but expensive to obtain
Does not matter. If your radio is NOT provisioned by the sysyem manager, you will NOT be able to hear any transmissions.

com501

Besides having to be provisioned, Opensky can only be programmed with RPM and valid provisioning data from the controller. Otherwise the radio is a brick.

RayAir

Last I knew, most of the programming for OpenSky is done OTA.

I know users must log in from the radio, manually or automatically, then the radio downloads the correct talkgroups based on the user ID of the radio.

It is correct a radio must log in and be authenticated before it is given a profile so the user can monitor their authorized talk groups.

It's a very secure system.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Last I knew, most of the programming for OpenSky is done OTA.

I know users must log in from the radio, manually or automatically, then the radio downloads the correct talkgroups based on the user ID of the radio.

It is correct a radio must log in and be authenticated before it is given a profile so the user can monitor their authorized talk groups.

It's a very secure system.

Well it was designed and maintained by Harris and harris subsidiaries. The leaders in covert op equipment and secrecy. They even design technology used by the government to eavesdrop on your cell phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.