OpenSky snags another one

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDCowboy1

I heard a nasty little rumor today that the State of Nevada is considering going with Harris' wonderful OpenSky fiasco. Supposedly it will only be for data links at first, but voice communications over this system are being considered for later on down the road. You'd think the powers that be would see the less than stellar track record that Harris has with this system and run away as fast as they could. Like the saying goes, there's one born every minute.

I heard a nasty little rumor today that the State of Nevada is considering going with Harris' wonderful OpenSky fiasco. Supposedly it will only be for data links at first, but voice communications over this system are being considered for later on down the road. You'd think the powers that be would see the less than stellar track record that Harris has with this system and run away as fast as they could. Like the saying goes, there's one born every minute.
I wonder if Harris has been doing any development on OpenSky. Thing is that OpenSky is a protocol that's not much different than any other 4-slot TDMA technology. It *should* work (and I've actually used a portable radio in OpenSky once and had a voice contact with someone... it worked, but it sounded like iDEN in voice quality to me), but there have been obvious problems with past deployments. If it's still being sold, I have to wonder if they made changes or are doing something different for this system that wasn't done for the others. Harris does all sorts of exotic stuff for the military. They have the resources to do 4-slot TDMA right if they wanted to. I guess we'll see (again).

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
From what I understand, the origin of OpenSky was for FedEX's data system. Rumor is, for data OpenSky works alright. That would make sense since it was originally intended for data.

Correct me if I am wrong on the birth of OpenSky.

Voice ? HA HA HA HA *takes a breath* HA HA HA.

X

xts3000r

there is..

Next Generation of the Proven Digital Voice and Data Communications Network Platform

A fully interoperable digital radio communication network for public safety, utility, industrial and transit organizations, OpenSky2TM is a comprehensive enhancement of the network platform including improved user services, superior coverage reliability and a number of audio improvements and features.

Advanced Digital Audio Features

OpenSky2 provides a significant improvement in overall voice quality as well as background noise suppression and enhanced dynamic range. The OpenSky2 enhanced AMBE Vocoder provides radio users with 40 different volume settings that can be adjusted to balance the requirements of users with the ambient noise challenges of the surrounding environment. In addition, the My Audio equalizer setting enables agencies to customize and balance audio device levels across an entire system.

Enhanced User Services

OpenSky2’s advanced signal processing and registration improvements expedite the transition and access time when users move between tower sites to deliver faster and more efficient roaming. With these quicker transitions and more consistent roaming behavior, users will experience more reliable voice and data performance in a large network.

Expanded V-TAC Support

OpenSky2’s V-TAC (Vehicular Tactical Network) Profile Model will allow for up to 16 groups to be accessed by V-TAC client, with up to 30 clients supported. OpenSky2’s V-TAC triples the number of users supported by the legacy V-TAC solution... if they do go to it i hope it open sky 2

IDCowboy1

I wonder if Harris has been doing any development on OpenSky. Thing is that OpenSky is a protocol that's not much different than any other 4-slot TDMA technology. It *should* work (and I've actually used a portable radio in OpenSky once and had a voice contact with someone... it worked, but it sounded like iDEN in voice quality to me), but there have been obvious problems with past deployments. If it's still being sold, I have to wonder if they made changes or are doing something different for this system that wasn't done for the others. Harris does all sorts of exotic stuff for the military. They have the resources to do 4-slot TDMA right if they wanted to. I guess we'll see (again).

Harris has made some really nice equipment for the military, quite a bit of which I have maintained at one time or another. It was very reliable and had some really neat features. You can't really blame the whole OpenSky debacle on Harris since they really didn't create the beast. Now I will say that as of late some of the "branches" of Harris Communications aren't worth the paper they were created on, and they kinda bought a lemon with this OpenSky bit. I also have certain opinions regarding public safety agencies being able to hide their "routine" communications from the public, but that's another story for another day.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
From what I understand, the origin of OpenSky was for FedEX's data system. Rumor is, for data OpenSky works alright. That would make sense since it was originally intended for data.

Correct me if I am wrong on the birth of OpenSky.

Voice ? HA HA HA HA *takes a breath* HA HA HA.

I believe it was EDACS that started out for FedEx. And then when public safety agencies became turned on to it, BrokenSky was designed.. Don't quote me on that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.