R6 Operating ICOM R6 in the BC-194 Cradle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taser_This

I'd like to know if the ICOM R6 can be operated while powered by the BC-194 cradle.

ICOM tech support says, 'When using the BC-194 cradle the radio should be powered off to allow the battery to properly charge.'

I'd like to find out if there is a safe way to operate the R6 in the cradle if one is not charging the batteries, or perhaps if the batteries are removed.

ICOM suggests to charge the batteries and operate the radio may not be safe.

Taser_This

OK. Here's the deal. Although I had multiple emails with Icom waving me away from the cradle to operate the radio, and that I should use the BC-196 power adapter directly, here is what I found. It may apply to other ICOM handheld radios:

From the voltage block diagram included below, it appears the cradle input and DC plug inputs enter the unit identically on the schematic, except only that each has its own independent protection diode that is of identical value. So for all purposes, the cradle and plug inputs are the same.

Also, I opened the BC-194 cradle. There is a super-simple circuit board inside, that hosts the cradle contacts and a pair of tiny capacitors and inductors/coils that I assume are additional DC regulation. There is no logic inside the cradle.

So it appears there is no material difference between a DC input from the cradle vs. the DC plug using the BC-196 as the DC source into an ICOM R6.

Attachments

• ICOM R6 Voltage Block Diagram.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.