Operating in Nepal

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5RG

I attempted to gain permission to operate my amateur radio station in Nepal in 2020 without any success. Seemed as if amateur radio was not understood by the government entities I contacted. Any known mechanism for obtaining permission from the Nepalese government for a month-long trip in October 2021?

edweirdFL

There's some information on Nepal at this page on the ARRL website in case you haven't seen it. It can be difficult to find things there.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber

K5RG

I randomly checked some of the listed calls both now and a few months back. I didn't look at all of them but ~ 80% have no license listing in QRZ.COM and the few I found that were still valid had no means listed for contacting them (no email address). I will do an exhaustive search if I can't find a definitive method to gain some insight in the Govt's process.

K5RG

There's some information on Nepal at this page on the ARRL website in case you haven't seen it. It can be difficult to find things there.

Yes I had seen the ARRL info and contacted the listed organization, who in turn passed me off to another organization that gave me the impression that they thought I was applying for a broadcast license. My guess was that I would have to spend a day in Kathmandu with my license and money in hand attempting to find somebody that understood amateur radio. I was attempting to see if I could avoid wasting a day while I was in the country. But if the 7-day quarantine is still in effect, I will have a few days to devote to the task. Just hope things are back to a degree of normalcy by October.

edweirdFL

If you do manage to operate there, please drop me a note about setting up a sked. I sometimes use some stations remotely that have the capability to communicate to anywhere. I don't have Nepal confirmed yet for DXCC. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.