Operating in U.S. Virgin Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrogen18

Hello, I am going on a sailing trip in August to the U.S. Virgin Islands. We are going to be sailing to St. Thomas and St. John, and I am wondering if I will need any special permits besides my general class license (I'm a technician now but will be general before the trip). I am planning on using a Baofeng BFF8HP radio. All help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

N0IU

The only permission you will need would be from the captain of the vessel (unless that is you!). The amateur service is regulated by the FCC within the United States Virgin Islands so your regular US amateur radio license will work just fine.

Good luck with the upgrade!

SCPD

QRT
Here it is-- from the “Horse’s Mouth,” Hydrogen 18
From Part 97, Appendix 1

“……..In ITU Region 2, the amateur service is regulated by the FCC within the territorial limits of the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Caribbean Insular areas [Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, United States Virgin Islands (50 islets and cays) and Navassa Island], and Johnston Island (Islets East, Johnston, North and Sand) and Midway Island (Islets Eastern and Sand) in the Pacific Insular areas.
In ITU Region 3, the amateur service is regulated by the FCC within the Pacific Insular territorial limits of American Samoa (seven islands), Baker Island, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Guam Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Kingman Reef, Palmyra Island (more than 50 islets) and Wake Island (Islets Peale, Wake and Wilkes).”

The U.S Virgin Islands ..all their islets and cays are included… your US license is fine there. With a General Class license, you should be good also for the British Virgins too… but I’m rusty on all the changing reciprocity and CEPT rules… The ARRL has a site you may benefit visiting. Check also the different sub-bands that may effect you when outside Region 2---- 40 meters especially.
Remember also that while you are in international waters, you can operate as a maritime mobile. … on a long cruise this can wile away many an enjoyable hour….as a KX6 I had a blast as a “stroke MM” form various research vessels- don’t over look the opportunity to do the same (often your shipboard radios can be tuned to the ham bands-- but you need the master’s permission first to operate, to say nothing of using their radios.)
Good luck, great sailing-- and :

"....May there always be water under your boat,
May she always be seaworthy, ever afloat,
May the bilge pump be certain to work night and day,
May the compass and charts always show the safe way,
May you find gentle harbor as every day ends,
May you lower your anchor amidst peace and good friends..."
.................follow'd with a shot of Rum :)

……………………….CF

Last edited:

kc4jgc

If you have a chance to operate HF from there, be sure to sign with your call "portable WP2". You'll likely be on the receiving end of a pileup needing the USVI as a new DXCC country!

Hydrogen18

If you have a chance to operate HF from there, be sure to sign with your call "portable WP2". You'll likely be on the receiving end of a pileup needing the USVI as a new DXCC country!

Thanks! I hope to operate some HF while I'm down there.

wrath

If I was going on an epic adventure like that a CCR would be my backup, if that's all you got I really suggest you borrow something or buy something sweet for the trip , with all the ships stuff going I would be worried that something would swamp the front end with noise .if you take something with the ability to do packet you can see other ships and log the course of the ship and all kinds of stuff via the GPS and TNC there is a metric ton of stuff that you can do well working on your tan from the deck, sieze the day my friend .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

N0IU

....But only if you are operating on one of the actual islands and NOT on your vessel. Contacts made from maritime vessels DO NOT count towards DXCC!

N2AL

Hello, I am going on a sailing trip in August to the U.S. Virgin Islands. We are going to be sailing to St. Thomas and St. John, and I am wondering if I will need any special permits besides my general class license (I'm a technician now but will be general before the trip). I am planning on using a Baofeng BFF8HP radio. All help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

My advice is when you test for your General license test for the Extra Class too. It's not too difficult to get.

skooterdave

Premium Subscriber
Have a great trip and let us know how it all goes!! That is super exciting! I have worked some DMR while waiting in Oakland Airport but yet to work on a boat or plane. Dave N0LUV

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

wb6uqa

US Virgin Islands

If you have HF on board you may check in to The Maritime mobile net on 14.300mhz. They give weather at the bottom of every hour. They operate from 12pm to 10 pm eastern time 7 days a week.

wrath

You can also listen to the feast guard maritime alerts on 157.100, they go over current water vonditions, any emergencies going on, notify of bridge and buoy conditions as well as NOAA predictions for offshore and underway vessels.

Hydrogen18

You can also listen to the feast guard maritime alerts on 157.100, they go over current water vonditions, any emergencies going on, notify of bridge and buoy conditions as well as NOAA predictions for offshore and underway vessels.

That's good to know, thank you for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.