• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Operation Maxtrac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
Greetings all!

I got a little project here that I would like to try and do... But I need some input before I tear into this one.

I was given 4 Maxtrac LPI300's that are 16ch UHF. HOWEVER these are the low power models and only transmit 4 watts. What my question is, Since most all of the internal components are interchangeable is it possible to take the heads off of these radios and change the chips out on some maxtrac 2ch radios to turn them into 16 channel radios? These radios work great it's just the power level that is the problem. I see 2ch models on ebay for very cheap prices. If I can buy some of them and use the parts from these LPI models to turn the 2ch radios into 16-32 channel radios that would be great. If this can be done can someone please let me know. Thanks!

kb2crk

Greetings all!

I got a little project here that I would like to try and do... But I need some input before I tear into this one.

I was given 4 Maxtrac LPI300's that are 16ch UHF. HOWEVER these are the low power models and only transmit 4 watts. What my question is, Since most all of the internal components are interchangeable is it possible to take the heads off of these radios and change the chips out on some maxtrac 2ch radios to turn them into 16 channel radios? These radios work great it's just the power level that is the problem. I see 2ch models on ebay for very cheap prices. If I can buy some of them and use the parts from these LPI models to turn the 2ch radios into 16-32 channel radios that would be great. If this can be done can someone please let me know. Thanks!

you could swap logic boards but the 2 channel radios would also have to be uhf. if the 2 channel radios have a 16 pin logic board it id a matter of changing out the control head and reprogramming.

KB2CRK

Thanks for the input. I would want the other 2ch maxtracs to be UHF as well. So I am thinking that changing out the heads and logic boards would work out great. I was thinking thats what I could do but wanted to check on here to make sure it was able to be done. So now all I have to do is some swapping. I want to get a couple more of the 2ch maxtracs on ebay because I only have one 2ch at this time. All the heads on the LPI models I have are all good. I just did not want to junk these things since again they are great working radios... Just too low of power. The 2ch are all 25 watt from what I can see which will do just fine on my UHF repeater. I have a RIB cable and both the Labmax and standard maxtrac RSS

cmdrwill

All you have to do is swap out the power amplifier on your LPI Maxtrac to the higher power up to 45 watt PA from the two channel Maxtrac.

Then calibrate the radio for the PA. Alignment: PA replacement. Sets the power output calibration across the band.

BTW we could use a couple LPI 2 - 10 watt Maxtrac or GM300 PAs here.

K

kb0nly

Yep thats all you need to do, a simple PA swap and calibration. You could buy a couple cheap two channel 45w radios and swap PA's with them, they you would have 16ch 45w radios and put the LPI PA's on the 2ch radios and make them 2ch 4w radios.

Thanks for the input guys. I think swapping the PA's out of them may be easier than my original plans. My next question is then, Since we are on the subject of Maxtracs... Is there any way to get more of a channel capacity out of them than the standard 16? If so how easy is it to do? And how would the process go? Thanks again!

cmdrwill

I just inquired 4 of these LPI units here yesterday. There is a possibility that there could be an additional 6-8 units located at the radio club I am a member of. My friend who is a trustee out there is going to look for more sometime this week. The ones I have right now do not have mics though. Only one radio came with one. Not sure on the others. These units appear to be only 2watt I have to explore more with the RSS to find out if they will do 10watts.

kb2crk

Thanks for the input guys. I think swapping the PA's out of them may be easier than my original plans. My next question is then, Since we are on the subject of Maxtracs... Is there any way to get more of a channel capacity out of them than the standard 16? If so how easy is it to do? And how would the process go? Thanks again!

if they have a 16 pin logic board they should be able to do up to 32 channels. it may just be adding modes (channels) or blanking the board and reprogramming as a 32 channel. a 16 pin logic board with the v5.34 eprom can do 32 channels with high signalling. it is in the programming. if they have the 5 pin logic board it would take more research on the batlabs or repeater builder pages to see what they are capable off. there is a ton of good info there.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The RSS isn't going to give you more power out than the radio is capable of, also you could fry the PA if you turn it up too much.If you are going to use these in ham band there is also the problem of the PA not having tuning adjustments (softpot) in the RSS for those frequencies, depending on the model. The radio may just run wide open power out or no power out at all.
I modified about 50 for my VFD radios 15 years ago to do 32 channels, and the 5 pin maxtracs will do 16 only, unless you add the extra EE-prom on the board under the metal shield(non-masked board) blank and make a 32 channel version out of it. You will also not have use of all the external accessories pins.

Last edited:
I am going to take the rigs apart tonight. I am not interested in them doing ham band at this time, However that is something I would like to look into in the future. Right now I just want to get them to do at least 25 watts. I will be using them to transmit on my UHF repeater. I have already added more modes, But they will only allow me to do 16channels at this time. Right now I think I am going to just take and swap out the PA boards in them with ones out of some 2ch radios. That should at least give me the 25 watts I am looking for, and if I can only squeeze 16 channels out of them... I think I can live with that. Though getting 32 channels out of them would be nice. So just to confirm.. If I do get some 2ch 25 watt maxtracs all I should need to do is replace the PA's and then go through the RSS and configure everything and I should be good to go right??
Thanks again guys.

cmdrwill

So just to confirm.. If I do get some 2ch 25 watt maxtracs all I should need to do is replace the PA's and then go through the RSS and configure everything and I should be good to go right??
Thanks again guys.

Yes, only TWO steps, setting the TX power and setting the TX power across the frequency range.
So all you need is a wattmeter and dummy load.

After swapping out the PA, go into the RSS Service menu and do the PA replacement calibrating the transmitter power output.
Do NOT touch anything else in the RSS, it is not needed.

Thanks again guys. I am going to start this project this weekend. I will take the rigs apart and see what type of logic boards they have. I see a bunch of 2ch maxtracs on ebay really cheap. So I think I am going to just buy a few and bring these LPI maxtracs back to life. Checking the repeater directory right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.