Opinion...396T vs 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I have a perfectly fine Uniden 396T, with all the latest firmware updates. Is there really a big deal as far as operational options are concerned? Is it really necessary to sell my 396T and upgrade to the XT model. I live in Putnam County, NY, and the radio does fine with the Westchester trunked system, NYSEG's P25 VHF system, Connecticut State Police P25, as well as Putnam conventional. What are the big advantages of the XT over the T?

Thanks!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you are satisfied with the P25 decoded sound quality on a true P25 or Mixed-mode Motorola system when using the 396 classic, then I would not recommend upgrading it unless you want the great new features that are available on the XT model.

D

DaveNF2G

The 396XT behaves more like the 996-series than the original 396T does. This is convenient if you track a multisite trunked system like NYSEG, but as you have noted, the 396T does a perfectly acceptable job of it. The improvement is in being able to use less memory for the system by only having to enter talkgroups once instead of once for each site.

The bandscope feature is nifty, but not essential. I like the 396XT, but I wouldn't say that anyone must have it instead of the 396T, especially if you are satisfied with the older scanner.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Dave...as you noted with NYSEG, I actually have all control channels in one system and the talkgroups in once...the radio looks for the best control channel and stays on it. I did that with Connecticut State Police.
I only asked because I'm driving out west again, and tossed up whether to get the new radio, or just a nice mobile control head for the 396T. Looks like we're getting the control head!

Status
Not open for further replies.