• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Opinion Needed: Buying New Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennFordTN

Hey guys, I'm still fairly new to RR and also still fairly new to CB but I'm in the market for a new mobile. I bought my Cobra 19 Ultra III about 6 months ago just for recreational listening and use between off-roading buddies. Since then, I've fallen in love with it and it's starting to slowly turn into a hobby.
Anyways, I'm looking at either the Cobra 29LX or the Uniden Bearcat 880. I'm leaning more towards the Bearcat, but if anyone has any experience with either of these two radios, please voice your opinion. I'm very curious. I'm in the planning stages of making a small rig for my F150 and want to buy the right radio. Tell me what you think!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC286

If your going to spend that kind of cash, get something with SSB. That radio is basically the same as what you have, just a few more features and flashy.

Take a look at the bearcat 980.

Forz

I agree with RC286 about the 980. both Cobra and Uniden have stepped it up with new radios and features but the 980 has it hands down because of it's SSB. in a pinch SSB travels quite a bit further than AM itself(you said you use it while on the ATV off-road,this can help if you get lost) along with the fact that 12 watts are better than 4 (ssb-12/am-4). i like the displays on the Bearcats personally although the Cobra 29lx displays are nice.

either way good luck with which ever one you choose,they're both nice and both from quality companies.

TennFordTN

Like I said, I am new to everything. How is SSB legal if CB can only transmit 4 watts max? I'm open to getting it. Is it a night and day difference on the extra range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sloop

The power output of the cb has to do with the type of signal..am or ssb. 4 watts am / 12 watts ssb is the legal limit. If you have the money, go with one that has ssb. SSB is usually used only on the upper channels such as 38 while am is used every where else (gentlemen agreement). Stay away from Cobra 148 ssb rig, since the production was moved to China they have had stability issues with ssb. For am use only it would be hard to beat a Cobra. I use a Cobra 25 which is basically the same as a 29 without the swr meter (I have a separate meter).

I am running 2 cobra 29's , one Cobra 25...am I pleased ? Indeed I am. But..... I sure wish I had bought the Uniden with SSB. Maybe in a couple of months.

Dawn

Agree with the SSB. I don't know the modification potential of any of these new radios, but most folks that get into CB nowadays get disenchanted quickly and getting a ham license is very easy without code.

With an SSB radio that can move up into the novice and tech section with a mod, that alone is a compelling reason for a radio that won't become obsolete or retain much better resale/trade value. Even on CB, much better and different grade of folks on SSB then AM.

The price differential and overal size is insignificant nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.