Opinion needed re: apco 25 phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
So we have many new scanners coming into the market, the feature garnering most attention is phase 2 tdma decode. My question- is purchasing one of these new -436/whistler(?)- scanners going to be a waste of $ or a decent "future proof" for the standard scanner-enthusiast?

By standard I mean being able to follow PS/EMS systems (700/800mhz trunked). Above those freq=above my current level of knowledge/interest.

thanks (trying to make wise decisions regarding money well spent)

Ty

troymail

Silent Key
There may be pother good reasons for the purchase of a new scanner that does Phase 2 -- but if there is no Phase 2 in your area (at the moment), that should necessarily be the primary consideration. Hopefully folks in your area have some thoughts on if/when systems around you might go Phase 2.

As an example - I like having the latest and greatest. MANY years ago, I had indications that my local fire department was going to switch from analog to digital. I bought a new digital radio (at the time the BC296D w/ APCO card was the latest Uniden). Guess what? My fire department is STILL analog to this day! Luckily other systems around went digital so it wasn't a total loss (at the time).

Having said that - if you are making a purchase, can afford it, and the prices between the newer models and older models isn't that significant, you probably always want to go with the latest and greatest.

Another consideration - the newer models are (can be) much easier to program than the older ones using PC, Internet, on-board libraries, etc. - particularly "on the fly" (or "on the road"). These days you can simply enter your location (zip code, etc.) and the radio does the work.

As I said -- many things to consider... $$$ may be the primary consideration.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
I fall into the "latest" camp as well. I choose the 396xt (forgoing the hp-1) because it would force me to learn manual programming which I'm still learning. I understand (to the ire of many) unidens' hp/Xt "combo take" regarding the new scanners. Given my (lack) of XP, the pre-programmed capabilities would come in handy in non-hp-1 factor when in an area where info was needed asap, ESP here in tornado country.

Plus! There's something to be said about graduating to The School Of "Having a second scanner". It's amazing how many people own so many. 1 for car, 1 for home is the goal!

Thanks

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
There is no scanner that is future proof, I just buy when I want/need a new feature. I have zero need for phase II or trunking, nothing in range of me but conventional analog and digital and my Pro-106 works just fine, however I will be buying a 536HP before too long. Mainly because my scanner at work is analog only and I want digital. So instead of having a digital at work and home, I can have both at home and use the phone app to listen to the 536 at work.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
Well agreed re: no future proof scanner. Coming from a computer for digital audio (music)/ad/da's and the like, the product/tech cycle is much more forgiving for consumer RF then "beyond Moores' law"craziness or Camera body's. I got the 396xt less then a year ago /w a no questions asked "if broken" replacement plan until end of 2015 for 525$ (including tax). Scanners compared to other gadgets seem to really hold their value vis a vis CPUs and the like. That great I got was from radio shack- sadly (radio shack) upman said no 436/536 models coming. They had a great extended warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.