Opinion on Multiple Systems for Group

slingshot202

Feed Provider
What is the opinion on programming any of the Phase II scanners with multiple systems for groups? Such as in NJ we have NJICS 700mhz system, and multiple towers. I have two near me. Do some thing it is best to put both systems in one group or separate the towers per quick key? I always wonder what the best decision is.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
That is what I was thinking. But I did not want to have to say put in Group 1 - System 1 WO Tower and all the TG, then Group 1 - System 2 - Union Co all the TG's in. Not sure I am explaining it right but trying to keep say all the Essex COunty TG in one SYS w/o using 2 SQK - I sure do miss analog sometimes.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
1676049562834.png

Here is an example - NJSP now on 700 - all these towers.... but if I leave each one active I'd assume a lot of dead scanning..... 🤔

Guess I am still using all the SQK - just did not want to have to build the grew every time.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Such as in NJ we have NJICS 700mhz system, and multiple towers. I have two near me. Do some thing it is best to put both systems in one group or separate the towers per quick key?
Since you are talking about groups and not departments and your scanner is capable of P25 Phase 2, I would assume you are using a BCD325P2 or BCD996P2. NJICS is one system. A system can have multiple sites. Systems do not go into groups. A system can have up to 20 groups with 10 group quick keys available per system. You can create a system with multiple sites and give each site its own system quick key to be able to select which site or sites you want to scan. You could put each state police troop talkgroups in a separate group and select each group using group quick keys. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 13

slingshot202

Feed Provider
OK thanks. Yeah, I have it a few ways, trying to load the truck scanner as best I can. So I think I did what I said, even if I kept messing up the wording. Now I realize myself what the heck I was talking about. Thanks.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
What model scanner do you have?
I am using in this case the BCD996p2. The only reason I had asked and now I understand what I was thinking. I was using the wrong terms to describe the locations. It never dawned on me when programming that while I had say all the Systems under the Column they all had separate keys and simply reading the TG's in there relative department section.

Phew!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
its your scanner, program it any way you want, it may work or not, you will never know until you try it.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
its your scanner, program it any way you want, it may work or not, you will never know until you try it.
Well there is that. I just trying to keep from to much dead air - next to print a label with the Systems for the truck. I've got a few scanners, I was just curious, but as i think more about it, I was OK all along. Little brain dead today when I went to reconfigure the scanner.

Thanks to all who took time to look and reply.