• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Opinion on Wouxun Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

markspoo

Premium Subscriber
Good morning.
Looking for opinion on the Wouxun mobile radio model UV-950P. Don't need a copy and paste of a website or a "I don't have one but this is my opinion." I am looking for folks that have used the radio and can give me an honest opinion. Looking to replace a radio in my truck for Amateur radio use.
Thanks in advance.

Mark Spoo
N9VDQ

SCPD

QRT
I will say I have the 920 and it is the biggest piece of garbage I ever owned.I hope they made improvements to the 950,if not you will have a higher priced piece of junk.

CaptDan

We have several of the 920's and so far no problems - it's only been about 8 months and a couple of them are on 24/7.

The get bounced around a bit - one is on a UTV, on ein a jeep and a third in a heavy duty truck that is used off road. So far so good.

I have several - 4 of their handhelds and have had issues with all of them, one of which is being replaced under warranty.

Keep us posted what you do

KA9QPN

I have a 920P-A. The receive audio is extremely harsh. The tone squelch takes a half-second or so to open, so you miss a word or two on the front end of transmissions. It is the easiest of the Chinese radios to program and the only one that I've initially programmed via the panel. So, it's a mixed bag.

I also have the Powerwerx mobile, and I really don't have a lot of complaints about it. Due to the fact that you need software to unlock it from Amateur bands only, the costs are a tossup.

wildbill0013

wouxun kg uv950p quad band mobile radio.

i have owned the 950 since christmas and so far it seem to work perfectly.the only issue that i have had was in the programing side, it seems that if you program ten frequencies into memory using the software, it will only scan 4 out of the ten that you put in. if you program it manually it will scan everything that you put in.
i called the place were we bought it and they tried it on their radios and found the same results so i know that it was not user error. what was found was that it is some kind of software problem not the radios fault.
even thinking of trying to program 999 channels into memory is not something i would even attempt.
overall i like this rig very much. i am even thinking about a second one to try my hand at building a repeater out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.