opinions and recomendations on these scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

Well Im finally getting down to where Im gonna purchase a new scanner, at present time I dont live in an area where digital is needed to what I want to listen to. Ive narrowed my selection down to these 2 scanners, the uniden BCT15 and the GRE PS400, both scanners look great to me, question is, is one better than the other when it comes to service and reliability? I hope this is the correct forum for this question, as these are both made by seperate companies I didnt think this question belonged in either the Uniden or the GRE forum, thanks

n2mdk

Both are very good scanners the truth is if you like to be able to arrange what you listen to in a much easier fashion then the BCT15 is the way to go. It's DMA memory and the System and Group Quick Keys make frequency management much more controllable. Being able to turn groups and systems with a push of 1 or 2 buttons and the Temporary Lockout make use a breeze, once you understand it all.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
BCT-15 All the way!

I second Jerri's comments!
It takes a bit of learning if you are coming from a "bank" type of memory system but once you get used to it and understand it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it!

Manny

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The PSR-400 has standard banks, and that's probably what you're already familiar with from your previous scanners. The 400 is also more sensitive, as are all GRE scanners in comparison to Uniden..

I have the 300, which is the hand held version, and I love it..

swstow

Premium Subscriber
go with the 400
uniden is a great radio but the 400s a radio thats easier to work with

af5rn

I don't know how urban Chatanooga Metro is, but it is generally accepted that the Unidens are better for high RF, urban areas, where intermod and RF overload is a problem. That would be one thing to consider.

It also seems that people are saying that the GRE cannot be rebanded, whereas the Uniden can. I could be mistaken about that, but I'd check it out.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Stevolene, go with the 400. I have recently purchased the RS version--the Pro-163. First new base/mobile I've purchased in 9 years. Love the radio. It's been running an average of 12 hrs a day since buying it. I run 3 trunking systems, milair, railroad, and a bunch of conventional frequencies. For trunking, the RS 800mhz antenna is the best. When conventional and a 400mhz EDACS system are being moniitored, I use a dualband ham antenna on a magmount on a 4 drawer file cabinet. Since digital doesn't look like its going to happen soon on the Chattanooga Metro system, the 400 makes sense to monitor your area.
HTH,
Larry

DonS

It also seems that people are saying that the GRE cannot be rebanded, whereas the Uniden can. I could be mistaken about that, but I'd check it out.

The GRE PSR-300/400, as well as their RS-branded siblings the PRO-164/163, have user-upgradeable firmware. At present, that's the only way to gauge whether a scanner that does not currently handle rebanded systems "can be rebanded".

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Its up to you!

The BCT-15 is ALSO user upgradeable! Just keep in mind that GRE made radios, which are a bit more sensitive than Uniden ones, are also very prone to intermod or interference. Selectivity has been an issue with GRE. In a heavy RF area, GRE radios do not always stand up to the challenge. Thats the price you pay for all that sensitivity. I tested this with a PSR-500 and PSR-600. The 600 did a little bit better but not by much. Neither handled outside roof mounted antennas well in RF heavy areas. So its up to you.

Manny

Airdorn

Only buy Uniden. Preferably the 996T. The BCT15 is old news.

Well, so is the 996T I guess.. but the BCT15 is older news. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.