opinions on rugged (2way quality) digital scanner and why it does not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

It's pretty much all market driven. If there was a market, you'd probably at least have after-market cases that would withstand impact better. These would sell to the folks that (a) want a better case and would buy them when they get a new scanner and (b) folks that dropped their old scanner and need a new case so why not get one that's more rugged.

While there are a few places that make leather or other sturdy external wraps for the existing scanners, they don't appear to sell in very large quantities either (or they'd be much easier to find).

The issue with a sturdy case isn't so much the cost, it's that they add weight and that's a negative for most folks that buy portable electronics. If the choice is between a sturdy radio that does everything and weighs a ton or a light weight one that does nearly everything, they'll probably spend a few bucks more for the light weight one.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu obviously knows how to do it for a lot less than $1500.
Yaesu FT-270R FT270 Amateur 2 Meter HT

I have the VX-170 (similar radio) and it is a tank. I paid $115 for it new a few years ago. I've tossed it around, it's been in the front seat of the car and launched when I've panic stopped a few times and it still looks and works great. There's really no reason GRE or Uniden couldn't make a tough radio for a decent price, but they won't do it. I personally would be happy with just a couple of upgrades to the present ones:

1. A decent quality BNC that doesn't come loose, and uses a split ring instead of the crappy fork that is presently used.
2. Better quality earphone and power jacks.
3. More scratch resistant display lenses.

I don't see how all of this could cost more than about a dollar a radio to do.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I would buy a ruggedized scanner in a heart beat.

Cell phones made to military specs are no more expensive than other ones. And, you can buy this bad boy, Yaesu FT-270R Submersible 5 Watt Amateur Radio 2 Meter VHF Transceiver for $169. I see no reason why a military spec scanner would cost so much when other products do not.

If you really wanted you could take it somewhere and get a rugged case built.

True, I can manufacture them, but due to the number of different models, it will have to be on a per order basis for now with a 2 week lead time. This is because I would not just build a case, but take the unit apart and reinforce all the components with springs, insulation, and the works. Given completed cad configurations I can put out 10 an hour.

I have found a cheaper alternative to those who cant afford to pay an extra 500 dollars or so for a case depending on the model, can wear a wireless bluetooth earpiece in their ear, with an active cell phone in their pocket, and a cell in the car connected to their scanner or sitting in front of the speaker if you dont want to do any soldering. This cost is under 100 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.