opinions on the Radio Shack 20-176

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Yeah, I had one, it worked pretty good, I only used it to monitor VHF-hi band though since it's radial element is approx. that of a VHF quarter wave.

It's been a few years since it has been on the house, and the last one I purchased cost $19.99, R/S sure has a way of jacking up prices don't they?

-Josh

DELCOLHFC

Look around the antenna forum there was a thread not too long ago about RadioShack's "sputnik".
I have one and it does a pretty good job in the 150MHz & 500MHz bands I monitor, decent price too.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Actually it's a great antenna. I have two of them and I've had them everywhere from my attic to my office and now way up on my roof. I don't have much 800Mhz stuff but the 800Mhz I do have comes in just fine for me although it is close. For everything else I monitor (150-160, 450-470 and 40-50) it does GREAT...and it stands up to almost any weather. I think it is a great first antenna.

Larry....count me among those who don't know any better but I haven't seen the 20-176 at the bottom of ANY list. In fact for $25 I'd say it is pretty hard to beat. I also have an ST-2 Scantenna that does outperform the 20-176, but not by a huge amount and the 20-176 actually does better on a few frequencies.

nexus

I've gone through 2 of these. Both of them broke at the base. They worked well for what I needed at the time but they don't seem very durable. I'd say search for a Diamond ground plane antenna.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
thanks again for the info. I "have" an old RS dipole that I bought years ago (probably about 10-15). it's installed on my Grandmother's house which is a few hours away. that one was a pretty good anteanna. I think I may spend a little more and get a good diploe.

Status
Not open for further replies.