Opinions on this antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

I'm certain it's a good antenna, providing it covers the frequency range you're interested in improving. Keep in mind it's directional, so if your monitoring interest are not all in the same direction, it will require a rotor. Also, with that amount of gain, it could overload your scanner, unless you're in a fringe area.

muhockey86

how much gain is too much gain? I live in an area where even the sherrifs dept and its simulcast system have reception problems...im going to be using it with the rs 2051.

MacombMonitor

muhockey86 said:
how much gain is too much gain? I live in an area where even the sherrifs dept and its simulcast system have reception problems...im going to be using it with the rs 2051.
\

This system falls within 150~174MHz?

The PRO-2051 does not have an attenuator switch as I recall. So if the gain is too high, it could cause overloading. How much is too much? That depends on too many factors to determine in this forum. How far are you from the system? Maybe the problems you're having are not due to the signal being too weak.

MacombMonitor

muhockey86 said:
Hmm...well then how much gain would you recommend? (and what are the signs of overloading?)

You're asking questions that are impossible to answer. Can you give more details of what equipment you have, and what it is you're trying to monitor, and the problem you're having?

What radio/scanner are you using?
What are you currently using for an antenna?
What frequencies, and types of systems are you monitoring?
How far are they from you?
What problems are you having in doing this?

muhockey86

I'm currently using the pro 2051 withe the rs vhf/uhf outdoor antenna to monitor the 150-160 range. As for distance...i know the main tower is like 8 miles away...but they have a simulcast system with atleast 4 other towers in unkown locations..and I'm just not getting the reception i would like. I would also like to pick up the mo hp better but i doubt this is possible with just one antenna (42.xxx)

MacombMonitor

muhockey86 said:
I'm currently using the pro 2051 withe the rs vhf/uhf outdoor antenna to monitor the 150-160 range. As for distance...i know the main tower is like 8 miles away...but they have a simulcast system with atleast 4 other towers in unkown locations..and I'm just not getting the reception i would like. I would also like to pick up the mo hp better but i doubt this is possible with just one antenna (42.xxx)

How high is your antenna? What type of coax cable are you using, and how long is it?

timmer

Macomb Monitor, are you familiar with the LP antenna mentioned above? I am looking for just such an antenna and it is not too expensive. I'm wondering how well it performs. It states on the dpd website that it has 8.3db gain yet is not totally directional. I was wondering if it performs as well as the Create log periodic that sells for over $300.00. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

MacombMonitor

timmer said:
Macomb Monitor, are you familiar with the LP antenna mentioned above? I am looking for just such an antenna and it is not too expensive. I'm wondering how well it performs. It states on the dpd website that it has 8.3db gain yet is not totally directional. I was wondering if it performs as well as the Create log periodic that sells for over $300.00. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I just purchased the military version, which is very similar in construction, but for a different portion of the spectrum.

I posted my initial findings here:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38828

muhockey86

I went ahead and ordered the scanner LP...hopefully it works just as well as your military one did...thanks for your help

ac4lt

muhockey86 said:
I just got the Scanner LP, but umm how do i know which side to aim in the direction of the signal?

The end of the antenna with the shorter elements points toward the signal if you want the maximum gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.