OPP chatter coming in on MNR/MTO TGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acurayyz

Lately I've had my scanner on scanning a bank mostly comprised of EMS (CACC) frequencies. I also have a few MNR channels. I find I am hearing some OPP stuff on TGID 3904 (Halton MTO) and 2848 (MNR TAC 3). Is it possible that a few of the OPP TGs are patched with MTO/MNR? Can someone explain the idea of patching TGs together? I am guessing it just means that all transmissions on say OPS31 are also broadcast on other frequencies?

Thanks

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

It is very common to have these Mto + Mnr patched with OPP talkgroups; Caledon 1 Sierra is patched with the Mnr all the time and the MTO Enforcement talkgroups are generally patched with various local OPP talkgroups, more often during the weekend. Trunk 88 shows the patches and newer scanners show the talkgroups while older ones will show only the dominant talkgroup IE you will hear Mto activity on a OPP talkgroup because its patched

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
This can also happen if they are short dispatchers they will take on more talkgroups. Most of the time there is very few people on the MTO/MNR TG's so a normal TG dispatcher can take them on.

Happens in Zone2 all the time.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Basically 2 (or more) talkgroups combine together and create a supergroup (all combined). This weekend in Toronto it was Toronto Whitby OPP + MTO ENFORCEMENT HALTON

Depending which is labelled as the supergroup... in this case 3904 was the super/main group.

Older scanners 996T 396T 796D 785D 250D 296D Pro-96 pro-2096 DO NOT handle these types of patches properly.

Since 3904 was the supergroup unless you had 3904 programmed in you WONT hear Toronto or Whitby OPP this weekend on those scanners.
Adding 3904 works but is a TEMPORARY fix untill they go to another supergroup

On the 996XT psr-500 psr-600 pro-106 pro-197 HP-1, all handle the patches and youd hear all conversations on the supergroup even if you did NOT have it programmed in, long as you had any of the talkgroups that make up the supergroup etc.

Tomorrow it maybe another MTO channel they make as a supergroup. Thats why I always recommend the newer models of scanners that handle patches if you listen to OPP.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I agree... The 996xt has saved me a LOT of hassle.

When they patch I get calls from tow trucks saying the older scanners 785/796/996T etc they got from me arent working anymore (even ones they bought 2 years ago) etc etc because the supergroup is an mto channel that's not programmed in the same system / I'd list... They won't hear it.

Where the buyers of the 996xt don't even know anything even happened at all and are scanning no problem no issues.

Thank god for the 996XT.

acurayyz

I've always wondered what the rules were for tow truck drivers and chasing crashes. Just this Thursday I had my first ride check off the 407 and there was already a tow sitting on the side waiting for someone to be found drunk. Do you HAVE to go with the first tow on scene or can you wait for your CAA or other preferred company to come?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I've always wondered what the rules were for tow truck drivers and chasing crashes. Just this Thursday I had my first ride check off the 407 and there was already a tow sitting on the side waiting for someone to be found drunk. Do you HAVE to go with the first tow on scene or can you wait for your CAA or other preferred company to come?

It despends. In Halton and Niagara the OPP and local police (Halton, cant monitor Niagara) have a perferred list, I guess they dont want a bunch of insane tow guys driving like lunatics to a scene, (lol).

In Toronto and Peel I think its first come first served.

The OPP will let you call your perferred tow if the car isnt in a dangerous situation and if the tow can come in a reasonable time. If not, they either shout it out over the air or call in their perferred.

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
This supergroup concept is very common in Brant County. Brant 6B, Haldimand 6C and Six Nations 6Q,
are always grouped together on either the Brant talkgroup or the Hadlimand talkgroup. They seem to rotate between the 2 talkgroups with no pattern, other than the change usually happens on Sunday evenings.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Patches are common place across Zone 1.

There's very few OPP talkgroups that aren't patched.

In Central Region, the only non-patched talkgroup is Orillia.

In the other Zones, they did away with patches and each detachment shares a combined talkgroup.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Isn't the Aurora talkgroup not patched? I know that the 5Lima 407 units share a talkgroup with Aurora but it isn't a patch. There is no much more activity on the patched GTA talkgroups you would think that they wouldn't be patched, they have enough activity that they should be stand alone talkgroups.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing he meant Orillia was the only one in the "central region" as listed on radioreference. Aurora is on the greater toronto. I havnt seen aurora patched in my recent memory.

Who uses 2848 mnr tac3?

LesWurk

It despends. In Halton and Niagara the OPP and local police (Halton, cant monitor Niagara) have a perferred list, I guess they dont want a bunch of insane tow guys driving like lunatics to a scene, (lol).

In Toronto and Peel I think its first come first served.

The OPP will let you call your perferred tow if the car isnt in a dangerous situation and if the tow can come in a reasonable time. If not, they either shout it out over the air or call in their perferred.

Interesting enuff there is a company called Preferred Towing in Lambton Co. Preferred is often called so maybe a slick name works?

Sarnia Lambton’s Only Heavy Duty Towing and Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.