OPP goes back to B&W Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Yes, because there's money growing on trees to repaint and decal HOW MANY cruisers? "Because I like it."

Nice.

icepick

was talking to an o dot out of Lambton Det the other day. Apparently it wont really cost them all that much to switch to b & w's. An additional 60 - 100 bucks per unit......

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
And keep in mind that as old units are replaced, they need to be re-decaled anyway, so the cost there is pretty well equal to the current way. I doubt they'll do it all at once, but rather if they do switch, I suspect it'll be a gradual switch, over several years.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
If anyone has any pics of these new cruisers it'd be nice to check out.

I know in my town one of the under cover cars is I believe all black, and another one is brown and I think the third one is either a brownish colour or a mixture greenish/brown whatever that might be.

what gets me on the third car is the little flat round antenna type structure on top of the car near the back of the roof. not sure what it's for but maybe for there computer system? I don't know, anyone got something on that?

pathalogical

Also, Toronto Police showed their new design graphics a few weeks ago at HQ marking their 50th anniversary. They had an old car and a new one with new graphics. Can't find any pics of the new look, IIRC, call it a "swoosh" starting from the bottom of the front door, upwards and onto the top of the back door, just below the window. Same red/blue colours, no more front headlight to rear tail light straight line graphic. This is the only reference I could find. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/11244.pdf

mrweather

Good to see the old OPP colours back again. They certainly will be distinctive compared to all the grey and white and silver cars everyone else drives out there!

MetalCarnage

www.opp.ca

It appears that OPP is just as excited, lol, they have already updated the webpage to show the new car above the "Francais" link. :)

pathalogical

MetalCarnage said:
It appears that OPP is just as excited, lol, they have already updated the webpage to show the new car above the "Francais" link. :)
...lol...maybe they're going to use the new colours near the Quebec boarder only...lol...

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Well look on the bright side, they can't hide in snowbanks anymore :D

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of the retro, but I hope they do the hood, roof, and trunk deck the same...

gwtc199

Black & White OPP Cruisers

I looked at the pictures on the OPP website. Noticed a few things that are hard to see.
If you look near the crown on the door and the POLICE on the front fender, you can see some colour matched stripes. There is a narrow gold colour stripe and a wider blue stripe under it, just like the plain white cruisers.
Also the doors aren't completely white, they are black from the mirror around the window frames, and the roof is white too.
From what the news here said that the OPP will replace current cars with the new ones starting March '07, as the old ones are retired from age. SW Ontario will see the first to see them.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the reason they're switching is just a ploy to get people to pay more attention and slow down, because everyone will want to get a look at the new outfit :)

imcleish

While we are speculating, I would think the stripes have something to do with a need for reflectiveness on the cruisers, and that they are the clear/colour match type we have seen used on the "ghost" cruisers in toronto, durham, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.