OPP goes back to B&W Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellotor

exkalibur said:
Maybe the reason they're switching is just a ploy to get people to pay more attention and slow down, because everyone will want to get a look at the new outfit :)

Maybe if they want people to slow down, they should just ticket speeders.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
Maybe if they want people to slow down, they should just ticket speeders.

Ticketing speeders doesn't make people slow down -- until they are caught -- then they speed again after a couple of grace days...

If they were out in force, and I thought I was going to get nailed with a ticket, that would make me slow down.

jellotor

That's kind of my point...we can argue whether tickets are true deterrents to speeding all we want but if the police (that is, any police service) consistently tickets speeders the result will be that some people will slow down. At least, those who are worried about their wallets and driver's license.

I find that Ontario drivers are becoming more dangerous (I've been passed on the right a number of times since the summer...and I don't mean when I'm stopped to turn left or waiting for someone else to do so) and at least on non-divided provincial highways I haven't come across a lot of traffic stops. I come across a lot of cruisers, but they don't seem to be stopping speeders or aggresive drivers.

In towns/cities there seems to be an emphasis on traffic enforcement but once you hit the county roads or the old provincial highways there doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent to speeding.

But I digress...I've dragged this one way off topic.

pathalogical

On the Weather Network, they showed the new colours along with Fantino driving the cruiser with lights on. They might show that clip again throughout the day, not sure if its on their web site. Believe it or not, they said the new colours offer a better contrast in sever weather which was part of their decision to make the change. DON'T quote me, like I said, keep an eye on TWN.......besides, I just woke up and my brain is still foggy !!!

pathalogical

exkalibur said:
http://www.opp.ca/images/OPP_2007_Black&White_print.jpg

It makes a pretty nice background on your PC :)

You can see the TIR3 in the side lights. Those babies are bright as all hell when they're on.
Niiice pic ! And that shine too !!! I oughta take my black vehicle and get it detailed by the OPP. I wonder what they charge for wash 'n wax ? hmmm.........*OPP..........

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It's just a short trip up #11!

I figured someone would use that as a background. One person in particular mind you, but...

smnjhull

OT But...

Not that this thread really has anything to do with scanning...

but...

Does anyone remember WHY the OPP switched to all White back in 1989? I'm curious to see if some of the same rationals are being used for THIS switch? I also wonder what the cost is going to be? Yes I know that their "phasing" the new colors in...but there is ALWAYS a cost!

Mike

gwtc199

The reason they went to all white is because it was cheaper to make and repair the cars. Now its cheaper to get the two colours since california has been buying new cars for their PD's. I work at a plant that sits right on the 401 and I see 15 to 20 auto haulers full of B&W's heading to california.

mrweather

smnjhull said:
Does anyone remember WHY the OPP switched to all White back in 1989?
My understanding is the switch to all white was part of some legislative changes in the late 80's mandating police vehicles be a common colour (white) with variations allowed for pinstriping and lettering.

That effectively got rid of the infamous yellow Metro Toronto and Peel cruisers, along with the OPP black and whites.

I could be wrong but that's what I recall reading at one time.

rhutch

mrweather said:
My understanding is the switch to all white was part of some legislative changes in the late 80's mandating police vehicles be a common colour (white) with variations allowed for pinstriping and lettering.

That effectively got rid of the infamous yellow Metro Toronto and Peel cruisers, along with the OPP black and whites.

I could be wrong but that's what I recall reading at one time.

It was a monitary thing.

pathalogical

I don't remember them having light bars, just two alternating round, red lights and the one revolving light. http://static.flickr.com/76/161990375_933f3650a1_m.jpg OPP had the same style lights too. Some people bought the yellow cars after they were taken out of service as their used car. You could easily see the "new" yellow paint from when they peeled the decals off. The yellows were replaced in 1986, http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/publications/files/misc/history/3t.html and yes, according to the HTA, http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/French/90h08_f.htm#173.

Last edited:

polo_762

I have one comment about the new B/W for OPP cruisers....just picture that paint job on a charger......mmmmm

KL

pathalogical said:
A reliable source told me he took a Maranello 550 "up the 400" and in 5th gear hit 285 km/h. He had not put it in 6th yet !!!

Tell your "reliable source" that he is incrediblely irresponsible, if he wants to drive an exotic car that fast then he ought to join the track days at Mosport and top out the car in an controlled environment, NOT on a public higway!

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Not to get into a debate, but driving fast and driving irresponsible are NOT the same thing. It's completly possible to drive at high speeds and be safe about it. If there was no traffic on the highway, and road conditions were very clear and you were on a flat straight section, there's no reason why you couldn't zip along quickly...all legal issues aside.

imcleish

exkalibur,

I agree with your statement, every so often on the side of the 400 series highways a see a sign with no speed limit which states "Drive According to Road Conditions"

as someone who has many Mosport hours on my personal vehicle, I feel confident with my choices when the opportuninty arises to safely "Drive According to Road Conditions". I often sieze this opportunity, and have a little run.

Is it Legal/Moral???? Make your choice, 120km/hr is illegal, so is 101km/hr if your looking at it that way.

Do I know the penalty for my choice? yes, and I am willing to take that risk.

We (humans) by nature are Risk Takers.... No Your Limit and Play Within It!!

My 2 Cents for the pot

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, the sad reality is that most people think they're invincible behind the wheel. I myself know I'm confident at higher speeds, but I'd never top 140-150 on even an empty highway - there's too much risk.

It's the people that think they're all that, and whizz by at 180 then crash up their car.

Look at Germany on their autobahn...high speeds, but the drivers have the skills to handle it without killing everyone. Why can't that apply here - there's no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.